Discovery

Chapter Four - Discovery

“Good morning, Resa.”

Like yesterday, I was thoroughly ignored by the petite girl who's presence in the room seemed nonexistent, if not zero. That didn’t put me off. I could be stubborn when I want to.

“I didn’t know you’re taking credits in Spanish. This is an advanced subject you know?”

I slid into the seat beside her, and as usual, she stiffened but said nothing. I gave a casual nod to the boy whose seat I now occupy. He just gave me a brief smile and then skittered away. At least, he understood that King Monfort was up to something.

My attention was drawn back to my awfully quiet seatmate. Incidentally, I had to share two classes with her everyday. And just so you know, I made sure that I was her seatmate in each of them. Geez, i must be so bored. Tiny Resa’s body was angled away from me, the farthest possible given the limit of our shared table. I sniffed myself.

I don’t stink at all. What’s her problem?

“You don’t talk much,” I told her, eying her just to see whether she would squirm. It was so unlike me to be focused on a single person, but there was nothing I could do but try to understand why. What was it about this girl? Her disinterest? Her indifference? Her bluntness? Or perhaps it had something to do with my latest dream.

It was the same party, with the same people and the same turn of events. The only difference was at the end, the moment when I grabbed the singer’s arm and yanked her to face me.

Black-brown eyes. Chalky pale skin.

The face she had belonged to Resa.

The more I try to think about it, the more I want to know more about my enigmatic seatmate.

* * *

"Mr. Anderson, have you found her?" I asked as I wove myself out from the noisy cafeteria.

I paced towards the empty hallways of the new building. I was in the middle of having lunch when my phone started ringing. It was something I've been looking forward to, so answering it was urgent.

My grandfather’s ever reliable assistant answered me pensively. "We've been investigating thoroughly, but we were still unable to trace her whereabouts..."

Impossible.

There goes my last shred of hope to locate her, my nameless, not-so-faceless-now but earth-shatteringly talented singer. With the Monfort's technology and data-gathering skills, finding a single person would be just a piece of cake. Inexplicably, they weren't able to find anything about the stunning party crasher. It was as if she never existed at all.

"Are, are you positive about it?"

He must have heard the disappointment in my voice because he replied in an equally assertive tone.

"Do you have any other requests?"

"None. Thanks." Geez, I just want to hear her sing again. I was about to hang up when I had an unexpected idea. I know it was a long leap, but still… my dream bugged me. I was always one to trust my guts. "Wait. Theresa Alva. Give me full details about a girl named Theresa Alva. ASAP."

“Full?”

“Yes,” I replied. “Everything about her. No stone left unturned.”

“Do you have any leads, young master?” he asked in a matter-of-factly tone.

“She just transferred here in St. Andrews.”

I could hear his sigh of relief. At least, that piece of information would make everything easier for him. “When do you need this?”