102. The Summer Retreat

Start from the beginning

Bucky walks into the penthouse of Avengers Tower, stretching his back and carefully placing his motor helmet on the counter. He grabs a glass from the cupboard and turns to the sink to fill it with water, but right before he opens the tap, he hears a soft whine. His senses immediately dial up to a hundred and, like a bullet, he turns to where the sound came from. Daphne's on the couch, half covered by a soft blanket. She's napping, he concludes, as he relaxes his muscles again. He's about to turn back to the sink when she speaks.
"Anything," she sighs. Bucky's face contorts. He hates that word. It was often used during his... Everything halts and his eyes open wide, realizing what this could mean. Conditioning. He has to be careful not to shatter the glass in his metal hand and places it down gently, but forced, before making his way towards the sleeping ballerina on the couch with big, silent strides. Bucky sits down on the glass coffee table and leans forward towards Daphne.
"What did you just say?" he inquires quietly.

A nap is usually a light sleep. During his time as a Russian spy Bucky learned it is relatively easy to get answers he wants from people's subconscious when they're in a state like this. As long as he keeps his cool. Though, he has to admit he has a hard time keeping his cool right now.
"Do... anything." It's barely a whisper, but he heard her. His jaw tightens and he leans in even closer.
"For who?" His voice is low, nearly a growl. He couldn't imagine someone already having a hold over her. Daphne doesn't deserve this. She is too sweet to be used the way everyone says she will be used. His stomach turns. It would make sense with her recent behavior, but if Bucky has no way of proving it, he can't accuse anyone. And he definitely doesn't want Daphne to become more scared if this really was just a random dream.

The young girl's face contorts and her eyes flutter open to meet Bucky's. Daphne stares at him wide-eyed and confused, if not slightly startled by the short distance between them. He immediately pulls back until he sits up straight.
"Bucky?" Daphne asks softly. The Winter Soldier gets up swiftly and walks back to the kitchen, leaving Daphne on the couch, not saying a word, except for some quiet swears to himself. If someone did control Daphne, he had no way of proving it. Not without her answer. And knowing from personal experience on what kind of conditioning gets applied, she won't answer him if he were to ask her now. Consciously. He'd have to watch her.

...

"So, that's why she's so on edge? Someone's already telling her what to do?" Steve frowns and Bucky shakes his head.
"It's only a theory. I have no proof."
"Honestly, I'd say that's proof enough." Tony cocks an eyebrow and crosses his arms. "Do you have any more theories?" Bucky glances at the door again and bites his lip. It takes him a few seconds to start talking again.
"I think she's fighting it. Subconsciously. That's why she's dreaming so much. I think whoever has a hold on her told her to not be scared, but she's scared anyways. The contradicting thoughts confuse her, cause she can't vocalize her fears. Hence the insomnia, the paranoia, all that."

"I'm kinda getting flash backs to when the silver dude put that silent spell on her," Sam says while pursing his lips.
"That memory prison shit?" Tony cocks his head.
"She's at war with herself, I think this goes a little deeper than simply not being able to talk about what's bothering her." Bucky pushes his metal hand through his hair. "I'm not sure it's a good idea to confront her with it just yet."
"Why not?" Steve frowns.
"We all want her to have a week off, to try and get her mind off things. I don't think it's a good idea to make an accusation like this about something she already knows, but can't wrap her head around. And depending on what the one in her head told her, she might deny it and that will only antagonize us. We need her to trust us."
"You know better than anyone what it's like," Tony sighs. "Do you really think this is the best course of action?" Bucky looks down at the floor.
"I don't know," he answers quietly.

The Avengers are startled by Daphne yelling.
"Peter!" They immediately jump to action and rush outside to where they heard her scream. There's a collaborative sigh of relief when they see Daphne, hauled over Peter's shoulder. He's running towards shore and they're laughing. "Put me down!"
"Not just yet!"
"No- Pete!" She hides her face in her hands to hide her giddiness and before she knows it, she yelps as she's tossed in the water. The fresh water envelopes her completely and it takes a few seconds for her to come back up. Her face is covered by her long hair and she has to go back in the water to get it out of the way again. She wipes her eyes, blinking away the salty water with a cough and swears when she hears Peter laugh at her.
"You looked like the girl from The Ring!"
"Peter Benjamin Parker, get your ass over here now!" She shouts back as she splashes water his way. He easily dodges it and sticks out his tongue. Daphne wades out of the ocean towards Peter, water dripping down every part of her. She's still collecting her breath. Her clothes are stuck to her body and she groans at the effort it takes to get out.
"What are you gonna do, Daph?" Peter challenges her. "Think you can get me wet? Ten bucks says you won't get even one drop of water on me!" He squats playfully and Daphne snorts.
"We'll see about that Spider guy!" She splashes again and the chase begins.

Tony can't help but smile melancholically at the scene unfolding in front of them. He hasn't seen Daphne this carefree in weeks. He clears his throat and manages to rip his eyes away from the fluff.
"Yeah." He takes a breath and turns to the other Avengers that are present. "Let's give her this week."

...

"Buck," Tony says simply as he sits down next to the Winter Soldier with a scotch in his hand. Bucky acknowledges Stark with a nod. He doesn't take his eyes off the beach where Daphne and Peter are hanging out with all the other Avengers. Natasha and Bruce joined a day later than the rest. Pepper should be joining them tonight. It's been three days since they arrived at the Summer retreat and Daphne was blooming. She started eating properly again and her nights have been less restless – according to both her and Peter. She's looking like a person again, but as much as she might be doing better physically, Tony has his doubts about her mental health.

"I, eh..." Tony clears his throat. "...did some snooping around." Bucky cocks an eyebrow and takes a sip from his water, immediately understanding what Tony means.
"Through her stuff?" He doesn't judge. He's done more bad things in his life than he would ever like to admit, so he's not about to tell Tony Stark off for doing something like that.
"Ew, no," Tony scoffs. "Through her search history." Bucky now raises both eyebrows and finally takes his eyes off the beach to glance at Tony. "I'm not really making it sound any better, but hear me out." Bucky stretches his back and readjusts his tank top.
"Alright."
"Daphne's been scared of becoming ready, right?" Bucky nods once. "She doesn't really talk about it, probably cause whoever wants her to be ready doesn't want her to be scared of it."
"Makes sense," Bucky chimes in, looking back at the ballerina on the beach.
"Look at this." Tony shoves his tablet under Bucky's nose and he stares at it confused. It's a long list of one repeated term. Weather forecast.