60. Firebird

Peter opens his eyes slightly and the moment he realizes where he is, he never wants to move again. Daphne is curled up in his arms, breathing softly and steadily. He can't see her face as it's hidden against his chest, but he can envision the peaceful look on it. Her slacked jaw and relaxed muscles. Her closed eyes, fluttering slightly through her dreams. Their legs are intertwined and he moves his foot slightly, trying not to wake her. His arms are wrapped around her shoulders and head and even though his right arm is asleep, he doesn't want to move it. This moment is too perfect to let go of. He sighs quietly and closes his eyes again, letting his mind wander to last night.

Peter froze.
"You love me?" He muttered.
"Yes, dummy, I just said so," Daphne laughed as she pressed a kiss on his nose. They both lay down in the webbing and the blankets, and stared at each other in silence for a bit. She focused on his breathing and the way his fingers played with her long hair. They tangled the fingers of their free hands together and his thumb traced slow circles on her skin.
"I love you too," he mumbled, evading eye contact.
"You do?" she replied, almost amused. He could hear her smirk as she asked it. He looked back up at her and couldn't help but smile.
"I mean, I knew I liked you... A lot. For a while now... But today during pas de deux class something snapped and I- I just..." He couldn't finish his sentence properly. He didn't know what else to say. "I love you." It was now his turn to press a quick peck on her nose. "I love you," he said again as he pressed a kiss on her cheek. "I love you, I love you, I love you-"

Peter peppered her face in kisses like she did with him that morning and she giggled at the attention, pulling him in closer. Her foot glided against his lower leg
"Who knew Spider-Man is so romantic?"
"Don't put that online, the paparazzi have already been all over me lately," he scoffed quietly.
"No worries, Pete," Daphne said with a chortle as she pressed a kiss on the hand she was still holding. "I'm not sharing anything." Peter laughed softly and pulled her in an embrace. His lips grazed past her ear and the smell of her shampoo filled his lungs again. Her fingers curled around him and massaged his back. He let go and relaxed completely into her touch.
"I'm all yours," he mumbled. Daphne sighs content, drowning herself in him.
"And I'm all yours."

Peter loved the Nutcracker. It even rivals Swan Lake for his favorite ballet. Seeing what the Sugar Plum Fairy pas de deux is supposed to look like, was a little daunting, though. He's definitely nowhere near as graceful as the dancer on screen. Daphne had calmed him. He's only been doing this since September. Three months! And he's so quick to learn everything. He just needs to have faith and work very hard in the last few weeks, to make sure it looks the way Madame Touha wants it to look.

The Nutcracker just ended. Daphne and Peter were staring at a black screen. Daphne's head rested on Peter's shoulder and she had her arms wrapped around his torso.
"Peter?" she asked quietly.
"Hm?
"Are we dating?" Peter stifled a laugh.
"I think so."
"You think so?"
"I think so," he repeated and he petted her hair. "We hang out a lot and care for each other. Both of us said 'I love you' three hours ago. Not to mention all the kissing."
"Huh," Daphne said pensively. "I guess you're right." Peter chuckled and she sighed. "I'm being dumb again."
"Not dumb," Peter replied simply. "Cute." He pressed a kiss on her head. It was quiet for a little bit, before Peter broke the silence. "Let's get ready for bed."

...

Daphne's staring at the white board. The teacher is talking, but she's not really listening. Her mind is still stuck at yesterday evening. She's fairly certain nothing will ever top that. The Nutcracker, the fairy lights, the blankets... Peter. She plays with her hair. It's in a half updo and the Dove pin Peter had given her is in an obvious spot. She smiles as her fingers graze past it.
"Alright, open your books at page 42," the teacher belts through the class. Daphne is snapped out of her thoughts and pulls her book towards her. When she opens it at the right page, she frowns. There's a folded piece of parchment.