Yukinari & Chihaya

"Chihaya-kun, we found a heart donor for you," that was what Yukinari Shiori-san, the nurse who was often in charge of me whenever I was hospitalized, told me a month ago.  Now, it was four days before the surgery.  I was discharged after the doctor deemed I was stable.

"You should go out for these next few days while you can, since you'll be stuck in the hospital after the surgery," Ishida-sensei stated.  Before I left the hospital, I asked where Yukinari-san was, and Ishida-sensei told me that she had requested for paid leave.

My parents had to leave for some unexpected family matters, and couldn't come back until the day of my surgery.   We were at the grocery store when we found out, and unexpectedly, we bumped into Yukinari-san.

"Is there something the matter?" Yukinari-san asked as she saw my parents fretting about.

"Some urgent matters came up and we need to leave Chihaya at home, but I'm not sure if we can find someone to look after him for the next few days," My father explained as quickly as he could.

"Then, why don't I look after him?  I'm on leave, so I don't have work, and it'll be easier if his caretaker is someone who knows Chihaya-kun's condition," Yukinari-san offered.  She gave me a heartwarming smile as a greeting. 

"Would that be alright?" My mother immediately took up Yukinari-san's offer.  She has taken care of me for years, ever since she first started working as a nurse, so my parents trusted her.  She also lived in the same neighborhood as we do, in the apartment complex a few blocks away. 

"Yes," Yukinari-san nodded her head.

"Thank you, you are our lifesaver," Father's grateful expression was genuine.  "We will definitely compensate you for your graciousness."

"Please don't worry about it, I just wanted to help you two and Chihaya-kun."

The next day, my parents left early in the morning, just as Yukinari-san came over. 

"Good morning, Chihaya-kun," She greeted me in the same heartwarming manner as she always did.

"Good morning, Yukinari-san," I managed to say before yawning.  She let out a small chuckle.  "I'll go take a shower and come back down."

"Alright.  Your parents said that they didn't make breakfast for you, so I'll go and do that," Yukinari-san walked down the hall into the kitchen.  She must've asked my parents where it was when they were talking at the door.  I walked back upstairs and into the bathroom after grabbing a clean set of clothes.

I like Yukinari-san.  She's ten years older than me, and there's a possibility that her kindness towards me was something that her job required of her, but I couldn't help myself and fell in love.  She was a kind, gentle, caring person who knew the best and worst parts of me.  So, I was really happy when my parents let her take care of me while they were gone.   I could spend time with Yukinari-san and learn more things about her.

After I was done showering and getting ready, I walked back downstairs to head to the kitchen.  Yukinari-san was finishing up breakfast.

"I wasn't sure what you liked, but I made everything according to the diet you're on," Yukinari-san looked up at me as she finished setting up the table.  "Wait a few more minutes, the rice hasn't finished cooking yet."

"Okay.  Is there something I can do to help?"

"No, you can sit down, I'm almost done here anyways," Yukinari-san responded as she finished up cutting the cherry tomatoes.  I did as I was told and sat down at the table, pulling out my phone to play some games and pass time.