Book 3: Chapter 40

Ryder stared at the gravestone in silence the funeral had ended a while ago now, but he just couldn't bring himself to leave. The sun was setting soon as his eyes trailed over to his mother's stone a soft smile playing on his lips at the thought of them finally meeting each other. Sylveon tightened her grip on his left arm the ribbons pulling at his sleeve a bit. Ryder spun the master ball in his other hand as liepard hummed from where she sat on his right, her faint call echoing in the silence. He huffed as he sank to his knees feeling the looming of N's zoroark at his back as the dark type stepped towards him. The pokemon's clawed hand resting on his back as he gathered his scattered thoughts.

"So... god this is hard..." Ryder whispered as he felt his shaking voice rise a bit as tears threatened to fall. "I just... you know... we'll take care of them." Ryder said, looking up at the gravestone in front of him. Zoroark moved her hand moving to the trainer's shoulder, her comfort never leaving. Fletchinder sat in the tree above his watchful eye never faltering as he waited for the young man to leave.

"I can't... I don't know if I can do this without you N. You've been there my whole life and now... you're gone. I know this isn't what you want from me. I know you would want me to be strong and move on... but even when my father died... I always had you, you were always a constant. Always a call or a message away, and you would drop everything to get to me. Certainly you lied, but you were doing that to protect me." Ryder took a staggered breath.

"I didn't understand it at the time... I get it now... I'm so sorry for everything..." Ryder whimpered as a small call came from zoroark, tears finally falling. "I know... you wouldn't want me to cry... Jack told me... he told me... I was supposed to be the one killed, not you... You took my place..." Ryder cried as he took a deep breath and forced himself to his feet. One final piece, he spun the master ball in his hand before releasing the dragon above him. The vast white pokemon cried, her call sounding mournful as she stared down at the graves below.

"No." Ryder said, snapping the pokemon's attention to him. Dropping the master ball to the ground, Ryder slammed his foot down hearing the ball crack and give under the weight. "Go home, Reshiram. You're free now. Go home." Ryder called up to the vast white pokemon as the dragon turned to look at the falling sun. The sky, a palette of purples and blues with red and gold streams surrounding the bright light. Reshiram turned her eyes locking on the sun, her direction clear. Unova. She returned her attention to Ryder as she blinked her blue eyes at him.

Goodbye. The voice in his head whispered as the legend threw her head back in a roar before she soared off towards the sinking sun.

"Bye." Ryder whispered as he felt the gaze of the pokemon around him. This wasn't over.