Presents

We finally stop at home, the walkway and ramp covered in a couple inches of snow. I take out and assemble my chair, and once sitted climb through the crunching snow, the cold steel quickly freezing my hand. Once inside I see a long flat gift on the table, and my Dad puts his shield away.

    "Good to be home" My dad smiles at me, I pause.

    "Ye-yeah." Dispite everything here being normal, and just like it was left, aside from the afore mentioned gift, if felt off.

    "You okay?"

    "I," I pause a moment thinking about the question. "I don't know, something feels off."

    "That happens, how about you go play your piano or something, and then is a bit we can have a small meal and open presents okay?" I nodded and headed to my room, my homework still on my desk, just as I left it. I put the books away and placed my keyboard on it instead.

    After an hour or so of playing music, mainly hymns my door cracks open prompting me to take off my headphones.

    "Dinner's ready." He said quietly, I noitice his eyes are misty, but I decide against saying anything.

    "I'll be out in a second, let me wash my hands." He smiles and nods, and closes the door.

    Dad had made a quick stir fry mainly comprising of greens, that were probably going bad from the neglect, along with some pepper, onions, and spices. In between us is the long package that was there when we got home, also got with a smaller one I assume is from Dad.

    "I can't believe your a teenager now." I chuckle a silent response as I mostly pick at my food, usually with our fast metabolism we're nearly always hungry at mealtimes, but I could barely make myself eat the little on my plate.

    "Y'know, if you need to talk about it," I look away from him as he finishes. "You can always talk to me."

    "I know," I affirm while I feel my shoulders tense up.

    "You want to go ahead and open presents?" He says after a few more awkward minutes. I simply nod. "How about you open the Barton's first. I nod pulling the neatly wrapped, bright blue package towards me. Opening one side I pull the Box out, revealing a archery set, witch, true to Mr.Barton's attitude towards them, does not contain a compound bow. I read the note taped on it from Laura.

   Dear Elizabeth
After I beat you every time last year at camp,
I decided you deserved a fighting chance next year.
Good luck,
Laura

    I laugh at it, and the memories of the summer camp.

    "I'm going to beat her this summer, just wait." Dad laughs at the prospect.

    "Good luck with that." I smile as Dad pushes the much smaller package towards me, picking it up I know instantly that it's a softcover book. Opening it reveals a Bible, I look at it slightly confused as I already have a few Bibles, of the same version, and this one didn't appear to have anything special about it. I open the cover and spot a note written in a handwriting I recognize, but I rarely see.

   Dear Elizy

    I'm so proud to be your mother, I see so much potential in you and I'm so glad to see you grow into a wonderful young lady

Mom

    I stare at the note, my eyes burning.

    "She wrote that on your fifth birthday, she planned to write notes on different birthdays as you grew up then give it to you" My dad explains, I shakily finger the writing. "She'd be proud of you." I nod slightly, and give my dad a timid thank you. Soon after he sends me to bed however.