Chapter 23

They took yet another blood sample and just as she was about to inject something else into my body, someone walked into the lab. I turned my head and found Kyle walking across the room. he froze when he made eye contact with me.

"What the fuck did you do? What happened to his eye? And those marks..." He shouted.

"I did what was planed for him. There is no reason to wait now that the preliminary physical inspection is completed." The woman answered.

"I am the head scientist here. You do not perform any test without my approval!"

"You where not here to give your approval. Next time don't walk away and expect me to wait for you."

"You will be severely reprimanded for this. What if you had killed him because you didn't wait for me to go over the procedure?"

"I'm just as much of a scientist as you. I am perfectly capable of double checking procedures."

"Enough! What test did you perform?"

"Test y-56x."

Kyle flipped through the papers in the folder he was holding, skimming through something quickly. He grumbled to himself before snapping it closed.

"You just had to start with a high risk test didn't you? Get out of my way, let me see him." Kyle said, pushing through the circle of scientists.

He pulled out a pen with a light at the tip and shown it into my eyes, then he gently inspected the wounds on my face.

"These are gonna need stitches." He whispered.

"All of you get out now. The tests are over for today." He instructed the other scientists.

"Wha... But... There is so much more we could get done today!" The woman protested.

"No! No there isn't. Now leave." He stated again.

They all left the room one by one, the women being the last to go, grumbling under her breath.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left. I should have known she would pull something like this. It won't happen again." Kyle told me.

I stayed silent as he started cleaning the remains of the liquid out of the wounds. He injected me with a mild sedative while he stitched up my face. He had another look at my bling eye before sighing loudly. He tapped his pen against his hand, looking deep in thought.

"I might be able to remove the substance from inside your eye, but it will have to wait to another day. I have to get some equipment brought over from elsewhere and prepare the surgery. For now, I will just bandage it up for you and you can be on your way back to your cell for the night." He explained.

"Whatever you say doc. You know this more then me." I answered.

"Oh! Let me get you out of these restraints. Sorry I didn't do it earlier."

He quickly unlocked the restraints and I immediately sat up, rubbing at my wrists and ankles. He gasped as I did, walking around the table to stand behind me.

"They even tied you wings. It's so tight too, must be painful." He said and started to untie them.

I shook them out once they where free, enjoying the feeling of stretching my wings out.

"I'm gonna have to ask you to put these back on to get back to your cell, it's protocole." He said, holding a pair of thick cuffs.

I sighed and put my hands behind my back. He snapped them on before touching an earpeace nesealed in his right ear.

"Please come and escort us Sammy. Im taking subject zero back to his cell." He said.

He waited a few seconds, probably for an answer before looking to me again. For a second, he just stared at me. An unreadable look on his face that sent a slight shiver down my spine. But it was gone almost as fast as it came and I thought I had imagined it. It was replaced by a look of sadness and regret. He looked away quickly, going through papers on his clipboard and messing arround with machines.

Just when the tension was becoming unbarable, Sammy walked through the doors at the other end of the room. Kyle quickly left the glass room and walked over to meat him half way. He spoke to him quickly with short stiff hand movements. They walked back to where I was once their conversation was done.

The glass door oened and I stepped out of the inconfortable room. Some scientists watched as I was escorted out while others completly ignored us. The women on the other hand, glared daggers at us. I could practicaly feel her gase boring into Kyle's head as we walked.

We finally reached the doors, Kyle opening them for us. As soon as they closed behind us, a collective breath of relief was released. We made our way down the halls. To my surprise,  we did not cross anyone. Just as we where passing the showers near my cell I stopped.

"Can I grab a shower real quick?" I asked.

"Oh... um, yeah sure just try not to get water on you head and make it fats." Kyle answeered, glancing up an down the hall.

He opened the door to let me in, removing my cuffs and closing the door behind me again. I removed what little clothes I  had on and turned the water on. I waited a bit for it to reach room temperature since I didn't have anymore time to waist. I grabbed the soap and wached my body, then figured I would give my wing a little scrub. I didn't know if I should do that or if it was recomanded but I figured it could not hurt.

There was a knock at the door shortly after, so I quickly turned the water off and put my clothes back on. As soon as I stepped out of the room, I was grabbed and spun around then slamed forward into the wall. I was just about to yell at them when a man in a black suit with two guards turned the corner.

"You son of a bitch. Trying to slip your cuffs again are you? I'll teach you not to pull your little tricks with me." Sammy said, ruffly placing the cuffs back on my hands.

He then grabbed a fistfull of my hair and slamed my head into the wall, drawing blood from my bottom lip and nose. I grunted and fell to my knees.

"Everything good here?" The man in the black suit asked as he reached us.

"Of course Sir, it's all under control. The little runt was simply acting out. I don't think he will try anything like that again anytime soon, right you bitch?" Sammy said, giving me a kick to the ribs with the tip of his stealtoed boot.

"No, Sir." I whispered through clenched teeth, just loud enough for them to hear.

The man shifted his gaze between us for a few seconds before smirking and turning around.

"Good job soldier. Keep it up and you might get a promotion. You should take example on your little brother more often Kyle." He threw over his shoulder.

As soon as they where out of sight around the corner, Sammy crouched next to me. He took my chin and turned my head towards him.

"Shit, I went a little hard didn't I? I'm sorry. I had to to keep Kyle safe." He apologized.

He pulled out a handkerchief to wipe away the blood until Kyle stepped in.

"Let's get you back to your cell before someone else comes along. I will patch you up there."

Sammy helped me get back to my feet. I gave him a slight smile to say that I understood why he did it. We quickly got to our destination where Kyle made me sit on the bed while he pulled out a tiny first aid kit from his pocket and proceeded to clean the cut on my lip. He rolled up little gauze squares that he stuffed in my nose to stem the blood flow. He left me a few extras just in case I bleed threw them.

"Your nose is not broken and the blood has significantly slowed. Your lip has also stopped bleeding but it might reopen if you stretch the skin too much so be careful." He explained.

"I'm sorry once again." Sammy said as they left the room.

I smiled at him and they walked away. A short while later, a tray of food was slid into my cell. I ate it quickly and removed the gauze in my nose. Luckily it had now completely stopped bleeding and I could go to sleep without worrying about suffocating in the middle of the night.