Chapter 16

Blake's pov.

I woke up in the dark, momentarily disoriented as to where I was and why I was there. My head was throbbing as I pushed myself up into a sitting position, leaning against whatever was behind me for support. I looked around the room and started to massage the sides of my head to ease the pain. Suddenly, my fingers came into contact with a metal band and I recognized the room I was in. All the events of the previous day rushed back into my brain. I gasped and I started panicking a little. My fingers ran along the band all the way to the metal piece on my forehead. There was dried blood all around it and a few trails down my face. I pried at the metal with what little nails I had, but for the life of me I couldn't get it off, all I managed to do was shed more blood.

The lights turned on suddenly, blinding me. I hissed and stopped pulling at the metal to shield my eyes with my now bloody hands. Footsteps hesitantly approached my cell, lowing down dramatically once they got near. I slowly removed my hands from my eyes as they got used to the brightness. I looked towards the glass door just as Kyle poked his head around the corner.

"Oh my god! What did you do?!" He shouted.

Just like that, his fear was all forgotten and he unlocked the door in a flurry, practically running into the room. He dropped to his knees in front of me and grabbed my wrists, pulling them towards him. His eyes scanned my hands, then my head and understanding flashed through his eyes.

"You won't be able to pull it off like that." He said softly.

"Then you take it off for me." I said.

"No can do... I don't have the necessary clearance to do that."

I glanced sideways at the door that had remained open behind Kyle. My muscles tensed as I prepared to run, but Kyle's grip on my wrists tightened, his nails digging into my skin.

"Please don't. You don't stand a chance against them, not as long as that thing is on your head." He said.

"Why not? What's it for?" I asked.

"It's to restrain your powers and shifting as well as to keep you under control. If you try to run the people in direct contact with you have these bracelets that are connected to the device on your head. It can send a very powerful electric charge into your brain that will knock you out. It can also induce immense pain to your body." He explained.

"Do you have one?" I asked.

"Yes... But only the boss's bracelet has the authority to remove the device."

"If I run... will you use it?"

He looked up into my eyes for a few seconds before looking back down at my hands.

"No, but the guards at the end of the hall will. If they don't decide to shoot you instead."

I relaxed in his fierce grip and let out a deep breath. Kyle released my hands to start inspecting my head, evaluating the damage I had done. I let my hands drop to my lap as he worked. He pulled a small first aid kit out of his lab coat, unzipping it and pulling out some disinfectant wipes.

"Why am I here? What do you all want with me?" I asked.

He started dabbing at my skin gently before answering. It stung slightly but it was nothing compared to when they put this thing on me.

"I don't know exactly what their plans are. I'm too far down the food chain to be privy to any important information. I just do what I'm told and don't ask questions."

"Don't you think this is inhumane?"

"Well yes... but there's nothing I can do about it."

"You could help me get out of here."

"No. I'll lose my job if I do that and I really need the money."

With that said, he picked up the bloody towelettes he had used as well as their wrappers and got to his feet in a hurry. He tossed an unopened one into my lap and walked out into the hall, closing the door quickly.

"Wash your hands with that one. When your done just toss it outside the cell threw here, someone will pick it up later." He said, pointing to the holes in the door.

He speeds walked down the hall before I could say anything, leaving me in complete silence. I stared at the wipe in my lap for some time. I picked it up, ripping it open. I washed the blood off of my fingers but didn't bother tossing it out once I was done. I simply dropped it on the ground by my feet and closed my eyes. I pushed myself up on the bed behind me and lied down on the hard mattress. I curled up on myself, wishing the pain would just go away. A slight sweat covered my skin as I was hit by spikes of pain and nausea.

Just as I thought for sure I was going to throw up or pass out or maybe even both at the same time, footsteps resounded in the hall again. I covered my ears as every step felt like someone was bashing me in the head with a sledgehammer. They finally stopped in front of my cell. I gritted my teeth when the sound of metal scraping across the floor pierced through my eardrums. After the footsteps had faded away again and silence had settled back in, I pulled my hands off my ears and barely opened my eyes. I turned around and found a tray of food on the ground. There was a bowl of oatmeal, a glass of orange juice and a piece of bread.

I rolled off the bed, forcing my body to move towards the tray. I suspected the food was drugged again but this time, I wanted to eat it just to get rid of the pain. To my surprise, there was a spoon on the tray with which I could eat the oatmeal. Guess they where very confident in their device to keep me under control. I practically inhaled the food, choking a few times but at least the pain was starting to fade away. I finished the food in record time and stumbled back to the bed, my knees giving out just as I reached it. I managed to get as comfortable as I could on the mattress and let my eyes slide shut.