Chapter 1 - Many happy returns

Copyright © 2014 by Sandra Corton

ISBN: 978-0-9943930-0-5

All rights reserved.

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki

Warning this is an adult romance novel, dealing with adult situations and behaviours. I hope you all enjoy Nate and Addy's story!

© Sandra Corton 2014

Chapter 1

I've heard people say that it's funny how things happen. A lot of them have said it about my friendship with Nathaniel Miles. They are right, in a way. What's a struggling poor girl like me doing with someone who came from old money?

The truth is that Nate and I have been friends for a very long time. We met on the first day of school the year that we turned ten. Mum and Dad had sent me to a private school, even though I hated it and they hated struggling to pay for it.

I had told them repeatedly that I would have been happy to stay at the same school I attended the year before. They had insisted that I go to the school that they chose. My parents have spent all their lives trying to fit into a higher social setting than they could afford, but it never made them happy.

The thing is, I have no interest in the Miles Fortune, as those who don't know Nate or his parents call it. The truth of the matter is that Nate's family love me a hundred times more than my parents ever did, and money is never an issue. To my parents I could never do well enough in school to please them, and I was a burden on their money constraints.

Nate's parents are well aware of how much I would kick up a stink if they ever tried to pay my way for anything. As a child, it was different and their generosity was welcome. They were more than happy that Nate had found a friend at last that he could relate to so they spoiled me as much as they spoiled him.

The most important thing in my life is that Nate loves me. His parents adore me to a ridiculous extent too, and that is all I've ever needed.

I've been recently thinking, quite frequently in fact, that it really is funny the way things happen. I thought I finally had things going my way, which hasn't happened very often in my life. I have a job, which may not be the best, but it pays my bills. I've recently moved in with my steady boyfriend Stanford, although that isn't going as well as I had hoped.

Sure, he has a huge apartment because of his hoity toity lawyer position at an elite firm, but he is so smug about it all. It is very different to my small, cramped flat but somehow it has never felt cosy to me.

I have never feel comfortable there, even though it is supposed to be my home. He hates me attempting any craft project that involves glue or glitter. He detests when I cook or make a mess too. It's as though he wants me to sit around looking pretty and not have a mind of my own.

The best thing about my life, which Stanford is immensely jealous of is Nate. I know it sounds bad but if someone said to me that I had to choose between Nate and Stanford, there would be no contest. Nate would always win.