chapter 21

(marlene)

The christmas before my mom's death was my favorite.

It was snowy and quiet and almost everything was closed except Denny's.

Dad was passed out on the couch, because he stayed up all night drinking eggnog.

It was the first christmas after his brother died, from the war he was fighting.

We were matching Christmas sweaters, red with green reefs. Mine was a smaller version of hers.

We took home hot chocolate and we drove around neighborhoods, looking at Christmas decorations.

She was so light and happy and bubbly.

She was my mom and she was beautiful.

Me and dad go to a store for wedding dresses, and a small section for homecoming dresses.

The dresses were anything but subtle, they reminded me of cinderella dresses, in which makes sense because the store is called, wait for it, Puffy Princesses.

Dad was complaining how could it was and how i needed more than my black north face to cover me up.

I look around and my dad yells at the dresses, and their prices.

"This dress is 1900," he says, with a insane look on his face, pointing at a dress with a million layers. "It cost more than my car does, Marlene."

I scoff and head to the corner with the simple homecoming dresses.

"I'm spending 150 dollars, no mor- OH MY GOD, WHAT DRESS COSTS 400," he says, pointing to a simple blue dress.

I pick up a fee dresses and head toward the dressing room before my dad could complain any longer.

I try on a few dresses before giving up.

Then i see a dress on a hook that would be me, if I were a dress.

It flared out into a skirt after the black belt attaches it to the front.

It's fait, because it's my size and it compliments me beautifully.

I walk out and my dad stares at me like it's graduation.

I smile at him and twirl.

"Say something dad," he's just been staring at me.

"You're so stunning, Marlene."

I smile, he is a pain in my ass, but I love him, I couldn't survive without him.

"Great," I laugh lightly, "because it's 180."

He smiles and pays for the dress.

I suggest Starbucks and he agrees.

We order the same black coffee.

We laugh and I wonder just hoe this Christmas will be.