chapter tris

(uriah)

The weekend comes fast, and I find myself only thinking about my date with Marlene.

Well it's not a date, but I like to think that it is.

On Saturday, Marlene brings only a swimsuit a extra change of close with her phone.

Her hair is in a pony tail.

We change into our bathing suits.

I wear a checkered pattern boxers and don't wear a shirt.

It shows my abs, of course and the thought that Marlene will see that makes me feel weird but I shouldn't feel weird she's my best friend.

I take my boom box and plug my phone into it. I walk down the stairs and start the music putting it on a chair, on the deck, near the hot tub.

I grab two towels and meet Marlene outside the door.

She wears a flower strapless top to show off her, I swallow and dismiss the thought.

Friend, friend, friend, I say quickly, in my head.

She wears matching bottoms with the shirt.

I start the jets and the song, Troubles by U2, plays.

I allow myself to stare at her when we both get in the tub.

Her wavy brown hair is pulled up to a high pony tail, wavy past her shoulders.

Her hazel eyes, the ones you want to see awake, alive.

Most people would pass her face, she only wears heavy eyeliner when she's around everyone but me.

I've never asked her why she doesn't wear makeup around me, but there's only a million ways that conversation could go and I'm not confident enough to ask, I'm a coward around her, even if know one knows, it's still true.

"Why don't you wear eyeliner around me?" I blurt out.

I don't know when I decided to ask that but now I can't take it back.

She laughs, "what?"

I swallow, "you don't wear your eyeliner when it's only you and me."

She turns pink.

"I mean," she sighs. She answers it like it's something to be ashamed of, "I just- I can be me around you," like the answer is suffocating her.

"I didn't think you would notice that I didn't wear it only around you. It's just it makes me more noticeable, prettier," she shakes her head.

"Mar stop," I search her eyes, which are filled with wonder.

"You're beautiful without all the black shit around your eyes."

I don't meet her shocked gaze.

Frankly, I don't understand why I said that either.

She still stares at me.

I look back.

"What?" She whispers.

"I think you heard me," I shrug, feeling the awkwardness grow.

Her glowing eyes stare at my face.

The next song plays, Paradise by Coldplay.

"I can stay under longer than you."

I don't give her time to react, I suck in a huge gulp of air and go under.

The last thing I want her to think is that what I said meant nothing, but I don't think I could stand the awkwardness much longer.

I get up and breath out heavily.

I wait for Mar to get back up, I wait and wait and start to panic.

I search the water and pull her up she laughs as she breaks through the water.

I force a little laugh and soon it comes naturally.

"I scared you," she says poking my chest.

I could kiss her right now, I could.

The timing is not right.

I'm holing her shoulders and I've been staring at her for too long.

I let go and shrug.

After three splash/tickle fights and two snowball fights later we deiced to go back inside and eat dinner.

Mom makes spaghetti o's and we eat the whole can.

"Wanna watch a movie?" I ask Marlene.

She nods and we watch Stuck in Love.

I sit on the couch next to her and we get popcorn.

I throw one piece in the air and catch it with my mouth.

Soon it turns into a computation and she wins 18-11

She sticks her nose up in the air and yells "HA," once the opening credits start.

We watch the movie occasionally stoping it to ask each other a question and tell our predictions.

We both are movie fanatics always talking about characters and making each other mad and then having to have 'truce' when it gets too intense.

But halfway through the movie, I see Marlene's eyes start to fade into sleep and I smile.

She leans her head on my shoulder and her eyes close.

I can kiss her now, she would never know.

I kiss her behind her ear.

And I soon fall asleep.