chapter 14

(marlene)

I feel like it'd be bad to skip.

If Peter is there I will feel like a coward.

I hesitate but go to school anyway.

Uriah smirks at me when I reach my locker.

"So you came," he says picking on his cuticle, "I thought you'd stay at home all day and be a pansycake."

I scoff, "do you even know who you're talking about?"

He looks up at me and smiles.

"Do you think Peter will be in history?" He asks with emotion in his voice.

I shrug, "I'll let you know okay, bye Uriah." It sounded more harsh than I intended but I needed to push out all thoughts of Peter.

I slam my locker and walk to my class.

At lunch everyone stares at my face once I sit down next to Uriah and Four, my usual spot.

"You look like death." Will says taking a drink of his water.

"Thanks, that's what ever girl loves to hear."

Zeke gives me a look as he sits down, "what happened to your face Mar?"

I sigh, I feel the words in my throat but I can't push them out.

I feel Uriah's hand line up with mine.

"Peter Hayes," I say shoving my fork with noddles in my mouth.

"He punched you?" Lynn says, her expression deadly.

I nod, I don't think I'll tell them that he touched me, at least, not in a school cafeteria.

After our normal lunch Uriah and I walk to study hall.

He try's to be normal, because he knows that's what I want.

He hands me a bag of Cheetos.

He props his feet on the table.

"You can come over tonight if you want, mom won't be home she's got a real live date."

"Seriously?"

He nods, "the first one since dad yeah."

His dad died from cancer years ago, before my mom died and his mother went through a huge depression stage.

That was the hardest part for Uriah, seeing his mom just burst out crying, grieving, staying in her dark room for hours.

That was when he was eight and my mom died when I was twelve.

"Are you cool with that?" I ask.

He shrugs, "it's not my opinion to give."

"Yeah I know but I'm asking. What do you feel?"

He sighs, "weird I guess. To see another guy in my house that isn't my dad." he shrugs.

"That's reasonable, I would feel weird if my dad dating another girl, even though I doubt he will for a while."

He nods.

Peter wasn't in history.

I drive to Uriah's home, telling my dad I need to talk to Hanna about this. Which is not true but it's an excuse.

I don't think I want anyone to know except my dad and Uriah.

I don't want pity from anyone.

I know I should tell Lynn, she's been my best friend. But we've been distant. It's both our faults. She shuts me out and I let her.