Part 25: Broken Jewels

Start from the beginning

"Better check your hot water heater," Jake said wincing as I gently cleaned the wound.

"I'll take a pass on that," I said with a small shudder.

"It's not that hard, just go down to the basement and check to see it's turned on."

"After months in this house, there are places I never go, including the basement." I dabbed antibiotic cream on his wound and bandaged his hand up. "My house and I have a strict agreement that allows us to get along. Weird shit happens here, and I ignore it. Also, I never go into the basement."

"If this house scares you so much, why do you stay here?" I expected to see mocking judgement in Jake's eyes, but he was curious.

"Good question." I really couldn't explain it to Jake or anyone else, but I decided to try. "The house hasn't always been welcoming, but I feel like lately things are better. And if I keep trying, I know I can make it work here." He gave me a dubious look and for a moment I feared he would try and psychoanalyze me; try and draw some comparison between the house and my abusive ex. It's not like the thought hadn't occurred to me before.

"There. You'll live," I said, changing the subject before he had a chance to play amateur psychologist. I didn't have the strength to analyze myself, I wasn't going to let anyone else do it.

"Take some acetaminophen for the pain. The throbbing should settle down soon."

"Thanks, Nurse Keane," he said.

"I wanted to be a nurse once," I said, putting everything back in the cabinet.

"Why didn't you?"

"I'm not smart enough. There's a lot of science to learn, stuff I can't get my head around. I was always a history buff."

"I think you're smart enough to do anything you set your mind to," he said.

I shut the medicine cabinet and turned to face him. "Alright, Donnelly, what gives? You're being too nice to me."

"Is it that strange for someone to give you a compliment?"

"I can take a compliment. It's just a bit strange coming from you."

He looked down at his wounded hand. Shit. The last part came out harsher than I wanted.

"You know, I went back to my therapist because of you," he said quietly.

"You did?"

He nodded. "I started going when my marriage broke up, but I stopped because I thought it was bullshit. In reality, Janine the therapist started digging a little too deep into my brain and I wasn't ready to admit how much Autumn hurt me. But then you came to town and you seemed so afraid of me. I hated it." He shook his head. "The look on your face when you fainted in the park—you were terrified of me. I'll never forget that look. I knew I had to deal with some shit and change."

I was touched. "But Jake, that didn't have anything to do with you. I was messed up and out of it."

"But it did in a way. I was so angry when you started working for the Light, angry at everything and everyone. The day you went to the hospital, I called Janine and started therapy again. I'm not fully over what happened with my marriage, but I'm getting there. And I'm sure as hell not going to take my anger out on anyone ever again." He looked like it was a relief to have told me this.

"Does that include the photocopier?" I joked. He smiled. "No promises — I hate that piece of shit," he said.

"I don't know many men who have gone to therapy." My admiration for him was growing. He didn't quite have his act together, but he was headed in the right direction.

"I'm trying," he said, his eyes warm on mine. "I'm a work in progress."

"Aren't we all?" I broke his gaze and looked towards my bedroom with a sigh.

"Now what am I going to do?"

"I know a guy. I'll give him a call and get him out to replace the window tomorrow — probably not the stained glass I'm afraid. In the meantime, I'll find something to seal it up with for now. I suggest you take Missy's room or one of the other rooms tonight," he said.

I was relieved. "Do you know everyone in this town," I asked, heading down the stairs.

"Of course."

"Want to watch Downton Abbey with me after you seal up the window?"

"Sure, I can stay for a bit. Where are we at?" He followed me and started searching the kitchen cupboards until he found some heavy cardboard and some duct tape.

"Sybill just died and Bates got out of prison because of Anna."

"Right. Poor Sybill. And I love Bates."

"Who doesn't love Bates," I said, reaching into the cupboard for a bowl. "I'll fix us some snacks." I took some popcorn down and popped it into the microwave, looking forward to the night ahead.