Chapter 2

Falling into Destiny
Chapter Two

You sat at a very large table, still as could be in your chair. The table was so long that you weren't sure you'd be able to see the person at the other end of the table. If there was someone else; there wasn't. There was, however, a roaring fire to your side and plenty of other things to look at. For example there were lights above your head! The big spider web looking things had arms which held lights! And there were two of them. Your childish wander over seeing the ornate chandeliers kept you busy for a couple of minutes until your eyes moved towards the walls. Above the fireplace were drawings of stone! They looked like long hallways. You didn't know why anyone would draw hallways above a fireplace but they were there and it was kind of pretty.

Not being able to resist getting up, you moved off of your chair and towards the fireplace. The warmth was intense as the fire was more than half your height. The adults, even your dad, could stand up in the fireplace without hitting their head! It was almost as big as the room you and your mom had been inside of in the dark place! You sat on the warm stone and leaned your back into the warm stone wall of the fireplace. It was such a bright light, being so close to the fire, that you closed your eyes but you didn't mind. It felt really nice to be so warm. You couldn't  remember ever being that warm.

And then you realized that while you were warm, your mother was still in the cold, dark place. Alone. She was alone because she let your father take you away from her so you could come to this big, big house. Your mom wasn't able to sit next to the warm fire because she wasn't there with you. You made yourself small as you pulled your legs into your body. The tattered gray striped dress you had on crudely only reminded you of your mother being by herself. It had been one of two sets that they gave to prisoners which meant that it practically slipped and fell off of your skeletor like shoulders. The dress went to the ground and had been ripped at that point; you used the second half of what was originally an adult sized dress as an extra blanket to wrap around your frail frame. Even though you couldn't remember being around a fire bigger than a candle until that point, you kept your meger clothing away from the flames. It would have been too hot to get any closer anyways, even for you.

"What are you doing?" an unfamiliar voice called out.

You looked up, wiping your nose and eyes with a sleeve that was too long for your arm, to see who had been talking. It wasn't from the man that said he was your father, nor was it from the white haired man. It was from the lady with two colors for hair, the one that had led you into the dinning hall to begin with. She looked less mean than the white haired man but there was still something about her accusing tone that made you flinch. You wiped at your face again with the same sleeve which only seemed to make her wrinkle up her nose even more.

"You could hurt yourself," she said in a stern tone, moving over to you.

The sound her feet made was like a clicking sound. Like someone tapping against the stone with their metal cup or something. You peered fearfully at her feet. They weren't like yours which were bare. They were more like your mothers which were covered in something. Only they weren't the same kind of thing. You tried to remember the word for it but couldn't remember. Which only added to the anxiety that hammered away in your chest as she got closer.

"Stand up. Let me have a look at you," the woman said.

You rose slowly from your huddled position, stepping away from the fire just far enough that it seemed to satisfy her. You held still with your eyes taking in every detail you could about the woman. She didn't really look anything like your mother. You, however...