Welcome Home

Based off Welcome Home from Bandstand... which closed three years ago today!

Natasha jolted awake, her mind processing what she just dreamt. Men in uniforms, handing her a telegram, their hats under their arms.

She wrapped her arms around her knees and hoped he'd be back soon. Her laboured breathing seemed to have woken her sister, Peggy, as the brunette quickly rushed into the room.

She wrapped her arms around her sister and tried to calm her. "Nat, hey, ssh. Tell me what happened, come on darling, you can do it." Peggy encouraged her.

"Soldiers gave me a telegram. They weren't wearing their hats. He died, my Steve, my Steve died." Natasha shook her covers off and wrapped her robe around herself.

"He's alive, he sends you letter nearly everyday. He tells you he's fine. Nat, Steve's okay. Bruce, Thor, Clint and Tony are all ok. They'll be fine. Steve will come back to you."

Natasha laughed sadly, "Peg, so many people have died already. They have a higher chance of going missing than they do of surviving. Sousa told us that."

Peggy shook her head, "Steve isn't going to die. He will come home. I promise."

Natasha wiped her eyes and nodded. She knew she should trust Peggy and Sousa but she just couldn't. She wouldn't give herself hope. So many people had abandoned her and she didn't want to add Steve to that list, but she was still preparing for the worst.

She moved out of her room and saw Peggy getting ready to go to work at the tele[hone company. Natasha could only think of one reason as to why Peggy was so excited for work each day and that was so she could meet her boyfriend, Daniel Sousa.

Sousa was sent home after obeyer because he had his leg basically destroyed. He went to work at the telephone company, as an accountant. That was where he met Peggy, who was a cable girl but was working on becoming an accountant.

"See you tonight. Daniel's coming over for dinner." Peggy informed her as she slipped into her bright blue blazer and red hat.

"Enjoy work." Natasha said with a wink, kissing her cheek.

"Write Steve a letter." Peggy called as she shut the door.

Natasha nodded and played with the ring on her finger. She was only 22 when she married Steve in 1940 and she was now 27. She was only young, she didn't want to lose the love of her life so soon.

She turned the radio up and began to change for her factory job. She was beginning to tie her fiery red hair back when she heard a knock on her door, a short rap, followed by silence. She sucked in a breath and opened the door.

"Mrs Rogers?" The young paperboy said.

"Yes?" She swallowed the lump in her throat when the boy handed her an envelope. She took the letter with a nod and paid the boy. She shut the door and opened the letter.

My darling girl, how are you?

The war's not going our way. As you probably know from Sousa, I can't say as much as I want to. I hope you're ok and I want to apologise again for the way you have had to spend the first five years of out marriage. I know, I know you tell me every letter to stop apologising but I just can't. Nat, you are the most beautiful girl and you don't deserve this. I miss you and I love you lots and I cannot wait until the war is over so I can see you again. As I am writing this, Clint and the others say hello and they hope you're okay. I love you Tash. I hope you write soon, your letters are the only thing keeping me alive. I hope yo see you soon.

Love, your Steve.

Natasha smiled to herself and put his letter in the show box where she kept the others. He was still alive. She breathed out a sigh of relief before realising she had to get to work.