Just friends

"Well, what do you want me to be?" Natasha asked, hoping he would say something more, something better than the answer she got.

"How about a friend?" Steve asked, hoping she wouldn't see the regret on his face as soon as the words left his mouth.

Natasha scoffed and rolled her eyes, hurt evident in them. "There's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers." He only wanted to be her friend. He didn't want anything more. He didn't love her.

"Nat, come on. Nat." Steve urged her limp body. He pushed the hair out of her dusty face and picked her up.

He avoided the spotlights searching for them and ran towards the borrowed car. He placed her in the seat, his mind whirling. What if she didn't wake up? He couldn't loose her, the woman he loved.

He slipped into the drivers seat and, with one eye on the unconscious Natasha, began to drive as quickly as he could away from the base.

Half way through the drive a hand was on his arm. He pulled the car over and turned to look at Natasha.

"Where are we?" She asked groggily.

"I'm not exactly sure. I'm driving to Sam's house." Steve explained. "Are you ok?" He asked and leant over to check her for any injuries, hating himself for not doing it earlier.

She knew she was fine but she wanted him to check her over. "I'm ok Steve."

"Ok. Should we get some food? There must be a 24 hour diner open." Steve asked and began to start driving again.

She nodded her head eagerly but stopped when it began to throb.

"Nat? Are you ok?"

"Keep driving." She whispered and ran her hands through her hair in an effort to try and find the cut, if she had one.

Steve looked at her through the corner of his eyes and wished it was his fingers in her hair.

Natasha couldn't find a cut in her hair but she knew she would have a bitch of a concussion. "I have a concussion I think. Get me some food and then to Sam's and let me sleep and I should be fine." She whispered and rested her head back on the seat.

Steve nodded and kept driving until he found a motel. "Food." He whispered and shook her awake.

He helped her out of the car and let her lean on his shoulder.

Natasha's eye lit up when she saw the neon '24 hour diner' sign. "Let's go." She said and limped quicker towards the diner.

"Hey. Slow down." Steve told her and grabbed a hold of her waist to slow her.

She scowled at him and, reluctantly, shook off his grip. "I'm really hungry." She told him and grabbed his hand to pull him forward.

Once they had sat down and ordered, Natasha looked over to Steve and smiled. "How far is it to Sam's?"

"Another four hours." He told her and took a sip from his coffee.

Natasha yawned and rested her head on the table. She looked up through the waves of her messy hair that was falling all over her face and smiled, she wanted to be resting her head against is shoulder or chest, rather than the cold table. She blinked sleepily and closed her eyes.

"Chicken and chips. And a hamburger." The waitress said and placed the plates in front of the two. "Is she ok?" She asked Steve and pointed to the sleeping Natasha.

"She's fine. Long day of travelling." Steve explained quickly. "Actually, could we have these as a takeaway?" He asked quickly when another waiter picked up the phone, eyeing them suspiciously.