|t w e n t y o n e|

A Journey To Remember
Kili
|t w e n t y o n e|

» » » » »
{S A F F R O N}

"What is the meaning of this?" A voice came from a great big man, standing upon his mansion, coming from the entrance of his great doors.

"We caught 'em stealing weapons, Sire," the soldier in front of me ur crew shouted out.

"Ah! Enemies of the state, huh?" The man who seemed to be the Master of this town questioned.

"A desperate bunch of mercenaries, if ever there was, Sire." I heard a very familiar voice cry out next to the Master before instantly realizing it was the voice of Alfrid.

"Hold your tongue!" Dwalin yelled in anger. "You do not know to whom you speak," he spat. "This is no common criminal. This is Thorin. Son of Thráin, son of Thrór!" Dwalin shouted as I glanced between each dwarf, Thorin taking a step out to stand in front of everyone.

"We are the dwarves of Erebor," Thorin walked closer to the Master. "We have come to reclaim our homeland," Thorin stated, turning his body towards the crowd. "I remember this town in the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake. This was the center of all trade in the north!" Thorin exclaimed facing the great people of lake-town. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!" The crowd cheered greatly, everyone throwing their fists in the air with encouragement. My chest felt uneasy amongst the idea. I've read many many stories of the Dragon Smaug and what he had done to thousands of innocents.

"Death!" I heard a familiar voice yell from the crowd. "That is what you'll bring upon us," Bard stated pushing through the crowd. "Dragonfire and ruin," he paused as I looked down to the ground, believing every word. "If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all." Bard said staring down Thorin before looking to the people. I noticed how the crowed exchanged uneasy glances as I fiddled with my fingers.

"You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this," Thorin pasued. "If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!" Thorin shouted

"All of you!" Bard shouted. "Listen to me, you must listen!" I pushed through some of the dwarves, headed towards the front. "Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?" The moment he spoke of that town, my stomach turned into a knot. "Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm? And for what purpose?" Bard paused looking to the people of Lake-town. Then he turned to face Thorin. "The blind ambition of a Mountain King, so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!" Bard raised his voice, and I believed every word of it.

"Now, Now," The Master spoke up. "We must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame," he paused looking to Bard. "Let us not forget, that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor," he pointed to Bard. "Who failed to kill the beast!" The man finished, my gaze transfixing on Bard. I knew his father didn't define who he was, Bard was better than that.

"It's true, Sire," Alfrid spat. "We all know the story," he mockingly smiled to Bard. "Arrow after arrow, he shot. Each one missing its mark," Alfrid finished as Bard took a step closer to Thorin, his hands balled into fists at his sides.

"You have no right," he grumbled to Thorin, shaking his head slightly. "No right to enter that mountain," Bard finished as I furrowed my eyebrows, listening closely.