|t h i r t y t h r e e|

A Journey To Remember
Kili
|t h i r t y t h r e e|

» » » » »
{S A F F R O N}

Thorin had ordered us to move the fallen debris and broken stones to close up the open gate of Erebor. Everyone was working hard, sweating and struggling to pick up certain boulders, but most were agitated on the reason we were doing so.

"I want this Fortress made safe by sun-up," Thorin ordered as I looked upon the torches blazing in the dark night. "This Mountain was hard-won," he paused transfixed on the ruins of Dale. "I will not see it taken again." Thorin spat as I groaned in frustration before dropping my rock to the ground.

"The people of Lake-town have nothing," Kili exclaimed dropping the wheelbarrow from his grasp. "They came to us in need," he sighed. "They have lost, everything." Kili stated exhaling a deep breath as I took a step closer to Thorin.

"Not to mention the ill and the wounded," I sighed in frustration. "They have no food or aid in the ruins of Dale," I exhaled deeply. "You gave them your word, Thorin." I stated firmly as Thorin took a step closer to me.

"Do not tell me what they have lost," Thorin paused towards Kili before looking to me. "And you," he spat pointing his index finger towards me. "Do not speak to me as if I was some lowland dwarf under a hill," he spat taking a step closer to me. "You will speak to me with honor," he grumbled before turning his body towards Dale. "I know well enough of hardship," he paused. "Those who've lived through dragon fire should rejoice!" He exclaimed throwing his hands into the air. "They have much to be grateful for," He spat rudely, causing me scoff in aggravation. "More stone! Bring more stone to the gate!" He shouted, helping us anxiously.

I watched the way he looked upon the ruins of Dale, looking to the people and the torches, almost fearfully of what they possibly could do. There was nothing the people of Lake-Town could possibly do to harm any of us in any way. I sighed, continuing the ridiculous job Thorin had desired us to do.

•••

Time had passed since the building of the wall had occurred as I walked over to the edge of the wall. I sat against the ledge, my legs dangle down beneath me, my gaze transfixed onto dale and the blazing fire flickering in the night. My thoughts began to ponder through my mind, thinking of the children of the ill who need aid- a hand was instantly placed over my mouth, my eyes growing wide as I struggled to pull the hand off of my mouth.

"Shh! Saffron," I heard a familiar voice whisper loudly as I calmed myself down. "It's just me," Fili breathed out, letting go of me before he sat down on the ledge next to me calmly. I exhaled a deep breath before chuckling slightly.

"Promise me, you won't ever scare me like that again," I stated with a small grin planted onto my lips as Fili chuckled to himself.

"Sorry..." He mumbled giving me a slight nudge on the shoulder as I laid my side on the boulder to my right, transfixed on the stars above. They were so beautifully balanced in the sky, making you yearn to be in the presence of the burning balls of fire in an instant. "But I must ask," he paused. "What are you doing out here at this hour?" He questioned, his gaze now transfixed upon me.

"Just needed some time to think," I stated, looking back to him with a simple smile.

"What are you thinking about now?" He questioned, wondering what could be racing through my mind as I sighed, exhaling an easy breath. I looked down to my hands before gripping the necklace my mother had given me and pulling it from underneath my top.

"Everything in all honesty," I sighed with a slight scoff, trying to hide the pain with a smile as I looked down to the beautiful pendant. "My parents mostly," I nodded my head, exhaling a deep breath, trying not to think of the horrifying memories and only the pleasant ones.

"I- I'm sorry," Fili breathed out shaking his head in shame. "I- uh, I shouldn't have-"

"No, no," I smiled stopping him from saying anything more. "It's fine," I paused placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Trust me. It's fine. Those days are long gone," I sighed returning my hand down to my side as he nodded his head in recognition. "The only thing I can do, is remember the pleasant and meaningful times in those days. That's all that matters." Fili nodded his head, listening to every word I spoke.

"It never ceases to amaze me on the way you word your phrases and the terms of which you speak," Fili smiled as I looked down to my hands, chuckling to myself slightly. "Do you remember the well met memories of your father?" He questioned, catching me off guard slightly before a memory came flooding back to my mind.

"Actually," I paused looking out into the lands of Dale, the crook of my lips lifting slightly. "The stars," I stated before meeting his eyes. "Any night when the stars were shining brightly in the dark night," I paused. "My father and I would always gaze up at the stars as we laid on a quilt my mother had made for me when I was just a young lass." I shifted slightly, lifting my head from resting my neck against the pillar. "No matter how the stars were aligned that night, we would trace out every possible shape we could possibly somehow envision." I stated smiling, gazing up at the stars. "You'd be surprised at the shapes you can come across when you focus passionately."

"Trust me," he paused smiling as I looked over to Fili, waiting for him to continue on. "I've had my share with the stars, plenty of times," he chuckled as I nodded my head with a smile.

"I hope we all have," I exhaled slightly, looking to the lands of Dale and the fresh square miles. I shifted off the edge of the pillar, moving a strand of hair behind my ear before looking to Fili. "Do you have any reminders?" I questioned as he sighed.

"Not with me," he smiled as I nodded my head. "Memories are always just as good as any pendant," he stated as I nodded my head in agreement, understanding completely. "All she ask's for," he paused. "Is that I will come back to her," he stated as I smiled.

"I'll make sure that happens," I chuckled nudging his shoulder for a split second. "I promise." He smiled to himself, fiddlings with his fingers before looking up to me and meeting my eyes once again.

"Saffron?" He questioned as I turned to look to him waiting for him to continue. "Is love something anyone should worry about in the midst of war?" He questioned catching me off guard as I sighed looking down to my hands.

"I think if it's something passionate," I paused. "Love that truly means something," I smiled. "It's worth the whole world for just one moment," I exhaled deeply as Fili listened to me closely, keeping his gaze transfixed upon me. "But there's something you should always remember," I paused. "Love isn't just a word or a phrase, it's meaning. It's real. And it's passionate," I inhaled a deep breath with a smile. "The most powerful love of all, is when you are willing to spare someone's life with your own." Fili turned his head from meeting my gaze. "That takes a great amount of courage to endure that strength," I smiled before looking over to find him staring ahead to the ruins of Dale.

"You love my brother," he breathed out, not looking away from the people of Lake-Town. "You always have," he turned to me as we interlocked our gazes. "You'd do anything to save his life," he stated with a small grin planted upon his lips. "Even sparing your own life," he sighed looking down to his hands. "That love is unimaginable," he stated as I looked down to my hands, realizing I truly loved Kili with every part of me, and I wasn't the only person who saw that. "Be strong, Saffron," he smiled standing to his feet from the ledge, placing a reassuring hand upon my shoulder. "You always have been."