Chapter 6

"Finally, you're out."

"I was never in the closet, Dima. I have forever been straight." Some of the people leaving the conference room chuckled at Lance's joke. It was poor in Dima's opinion. "Unlike you."

Dima stopped short in rolling his eyes; doing such an act in front of the coven council would mean disrespect, and that would not settle well with his father. If they were not in public, then he would have taken the risk.

"You're not funny, Dad."

"You just lack enthusiasm, son. You're too serious and prim and proper and..."

"Jeez! Stop, I get it."

"That's the first urban dictionary word I have heard from you in ages."

"Well, sorry to disappoint. Regardless, do you realize you are saying it like those...traits you counted are bad?" Dimitri's face was contorted in a way as if he had eaten something sour.

"No, they are good but only for old people. Are you keeping a check on your age? Do you remember being young?"

"You are a bully," Dima glared at his father after declaring. "Can we just go and meet those people you wanted me to meet? I was bored out of my mind while waiting for you."

"You were waiting here in the hall all the time?" Lance queried with his eyebrows raised in surprise and doubt coating his voice.

"No, I came back an hour ago."

"Didn't realize we were in there for so long. Anyways, let's go."

The after-party or more like the mingling was taking place in a large hall on the third floor of the five-floored building.

The duo of father and son entered the hall which could hold two hundred people at once without it getting crowded. Thirty to thirty-five were present for the meet, so the place was pretty empty. Hushed conversations were taking place in every corner of the room due to the presence of creatures who have sharp hearing and the possible echo effect.

Very soon the place was thrumming with lively chatter. Alcohol was served by the waiters wearing ironed red coats with white shirts inside. Glasses were full to the brim as the same waiters were rushing back and forth to refill the drinks.

The so-called meeting was over for Dimitri as his dad signaled that they'd met almost all of them. Ready to say goodbye and head home, Lance shook hands with the vampires he was talking to. As he pulled away, a hand clasped his shoulder from behind. The group scurried off after having a look at whoever was standing behind the coven leader.

"Lance," the owner of the hand greeted Dimitri's dad.

The stranger looked to be in his late 50s as per the human age system. A square face, fair color and black eyes that seemed wise. Thin white hair covered his head. Power radiated off him. Beneath the physical traits, Dima felt the presence of an old soul. Either he was an old vampire with good genes or an Elder.

Elders were the vampires who possessed great knowledge, were old — maybe a couple hundred — and had special powers that were called gifts. Such powers could not be earned, you either have them from birth or you don't. Dimitri's knowledge was limited to this extent.

"Jason" Lance greeted back after turning to face the stranger. "Not that I mind, but what are you doing here?" Lance questioned with a polite smile.

Since Lance didn't put 'Elder' before Jason's name, Dima dropped his assumption from earlier.

"I heard that there was going to be a gathering, so I thought I should come here and meet the honored council members," Jason answered Lance.

"Then you must have known about the meeting too, why didn't you join us?"

"That's for boring people like you."

"Right."

The playful banter soon turned into a conversation. The creepy sight was Lance's stoic face even though the conversation was light and teasing.

One moment, the two old men were all fun and the next moment, they weren't. Why? Because they chose to give Dimitri their attention, like making small talk with twenty people already wasn't humdrum enough for the youngling.

"Meet my youngest son Dimitri. Dima, this is Jason." Jason shook hands with Dima. Right before pulling back, his eyes flashed red and he stiffened. "Jason is an Elder," Lance continued further with his introduction.

So I was right. Why did he go stiff as soon as he met me though? Is he getting a vision? Is he that kind of vampire? Thought after thought passed through Dimitri's mind as he tried to subtly pull back his hand from the Elder's tight grip.

Lance too noticed Jason's rigid form, and worriedly asked him - "Is something wrong, Jason?"

"Werewolf," he replied, staring at Dima.

Dima's dad grimaced and ushered them all in a secluded corner, far enough to not worry about prying ears. Still, as a precautionary measure, they decided on a whispered conversation.

"What are you saying? What do you mean by werewolf?"

"Your son was in contact with one around an hour or two ago. Ask him."

Lance did a once over of his son, his face filling with maddening rage. "I told you to stay away from that wolf."

Fuck! How did he know that it was Chris?!

"I didn't–" When Dimitri uttered those two words, he didn't realize he would have a livid Lance on his case. The flight had taken off, the damage could not be undone.

"Don't lie to me, Dima," came the words in a deep, chilling tone.

"I went to a gym in the area; it was open to all."

Dima did not have to explain further as Jason came to his rescue surprisingly. "Lance, let it be. Leave the boy. If he went to the nearby gym, it is only normal to have scents of other creatures lingering on him. I happen to know the gym he is talking about." Lance shut up pretty quickly after that.

It wasn't until the Putin men were alone in the car that Lance Putin spoke his mind freely. Dima cannot help but recall his words as he lay in bed at nightfall.

"Stay away from werewolves."

Dima snorted at the absurdity of what his dad was insinuating. Like I have a problem with staying away from those slobber doggies. Before he could mull over the thought, he succumbed to sleep.

══════☸☸☸══════

And he says he would have no problem in staying away from werewolves. Do you believe him?

To read a chapter ahead, check my profile on Tapas at queenwithoutthecrown.
Do not forget to show me love by voting and commenting your love. I promise this gets interesting ;)

You can also join me on Discord on the Literary Lounge server. Link in my bio.

 Link in my bio