Sincerely Ch.18

We were all sitting in the living room of Mom's house. Me, Shawn, and Mom.

After not seeing Shawn in years, he looked good. He was wearing a nice gray suit, a cream colored tie, his black hair was combed back in an uptight kind of way.

I noticed he looked taller to, more mature, and sharper looking. He looked like an adult.

His blue eye's bore into Mom's, but she just starred right back at him/

It was awkward, Shawn was glaring at Mom, she was glaring back at him, and i was starring off into space.

I glanced at  the clock, it was 5:48pm Saturday. The clock struck 6pm and still no one said a word.

Finally Mom got up, grabbed a drink (Beer) out of the fridge, sat down pulled her cigarettes out of her pocket and lit it.

Shawn watched her every movement, and i watched him.

After taking a puff of her cigarette she finally said something.

"So what brings you here Shawn?" she said.

He narrowed his eye's, "I came to talk to you and Rori, mostly to catch up" .

There was so much tension in the air, it was hard for me to breathe.

"So talk. Lets catch up" she smiled.

I knew that smile all to well, that's the smile that says she's pissed. Whenever she was mad she'd smile like that before beating the crap out of us.

He remembered it too because his forehead formed a crease.

"It seems you haven't changed at all" He grimaced.

"And you have" she shot back.

"Yes, after i left I started College in Sacramento, then worked as an intern at the IRS, and that's where i work now" He said.

Wow he really did well for himself after leaving.

I kind of envied him, he was able to leave without worrying about his mom, but i couldn't. He hated her but I just felt sorry for her.

"So you became successful after leaving us behind, good for you" She said with fake enthusiasm.

"I left you behind, not Rori. That's actually why I came back, for her" He looked at me.

Mom' eyes grew wide.

"What do you mean?" I stood up.

"I have a stable job, a nice house, and I've got enough money. I didn't leave with the intention of leaving you here by yourself, i was always gonna come back for you-"

"Wait! what are you talking about?" I interupted him.

He smiled at me, "I want you to come live with me".

He wants me to come live with him?

Both him and Mom looked at me, waiting for an answer.

"I.... D-don't think i can answer that right now" I looked down at my hands.

"That's alright Rori, i'll be here until Friday, you've got a week to think about it. Don't rush" He patted me on the shoulder.

What if I did move away from here?

I wouldn't be able to see Kyle or Tabby again, but then I'd never see Skole again either.

If I lived with Shawn I could have a normal life, with none of this weird shit going on.

"She's not gonna leave" Mom said suddenly.

"Why would she leave her family and friends, she's not the type to run away from her problems like you" She said coldly.

Shawn flinched at her words.

"It's not what you want or what you think. It's Rori's decision" He almost growled.

They glared at each other and I saw Mom's hand twitch toward her beer bottle.

Hope she doesn't hit him in the head with it.

Shawn sighed, and turned to me. He pulled a card out of his pocket and handed it to me, "Call me when you make your decision".

He gave me a light hug, looked at Mom and left.

We stood silently in the living room, waiting for the other to talk.

"Throw that away, you know you won't need it" She spat.

"How do you know?" i asked.

"Cuz I said so!" She yelled.

I just looked at her and sighed.

"I don't know if I'll go with him or not, but i do think that things might be better for me if I went" I said annoyed.

"Why don't ya just go!" She screamed.

I gave her a 'this bitch done lost her mind' look.

"Go ahead, leave me, like everyone else did" she mumbled.

"Maybe i will. I'm tired of having to take care of a grown woman. Y'know why everyone leaves you? It's because you push them away" I yelled at her.

She whipped around, I barely had time to duck before the bottle whized by my face and smashed against the wall.

Glass shatered everywhere.

I looked at the bottle then at her. If i hadn't have ducked the bottle would have hit me dead in the face.

"You'll never see me around here again" I couldn't even look her in the face.

I walked out of that house and I didn't look back.