Boldness

Kwabena swiped at his phone on the couch when it began to buzz. He was enjoying a rare lazy day at his sister's house, catching up on Nigerian movies. The number belonged to Joyce, and after a quick celebratory hand pump, he answered.

"Joyce, whats up, whats up?"

"Hi Kobs, how are you?" She sounded short, and upset.

"I am good. What happened? Everything ok?"

"Mom is ... Aaah, I don't want to talk about it. What are you doing today?"

"Right now, a whole lot of nothing. Blossom is entertaining me. I will be running a few errands later."

"Sounds like fun", she finally said. "Well, was just checking on you. I will talk to you before ..."

"Hey, do you want to join me today? It will be a lot more fun if you are around."

"Are you sure? I don't want to cramp your style, Mr. Burger."

"Do you want me to beg? Or bribe? Ok, then. You can pick a book from any bookstore, on me."

"Ok, ok. You don't need to do all that. Where should I meet you?"

"Can you come to my sister's house in North K? I will drive us from here."

"Yeah, I can do that. Drop me a pin on google maps."

"Ok, see you soon."

Kwabena was in the guest room when the door bell rang. As he rushed out to open it, he heard the door open.

"Oh hi. Akos, right?", came Joyce's voice.

"Eii Joyce, so you don't remember me, ehhh?", his sister responded. "So thats why this boy put on nice clothes. Don't stand there like a stranger. Come on in".

Kwabena's heart skipped a beat when Joyce smile as she saw him. "Hi Kobs", she said.

"Kobs, huh?", Akos echoed. "Interesting, interesting". Kwabena quickly jumped in.

"I see you two have met."

"Oh you too? I have met Joyce before, though she may not remember now", Akos responded.

"No, I don't", Joyce said looking surprised. "I am usually good about remembering people but ..."

Akos laughed her consternation. "Don't worry, this was about 10 years ago, and it was only for a brief period. How are your parents?"

Kwabena sat in the living room as the ladies exchanged pleasantries. Presently, Joyce joined him on the couch.

"So that is Akos, huh?"

Akos came into the living room right on cue. She glanced at both of them in the couch with a quizzical look her eye.

"Kids, I am off. Can I trust you to behave yourselves", she said. her tone laden with mischief.

"Yes, mom", Kwabena jibed, knowing it would infuriate Akos.

"Oh, commot for there", she responded walking out of the house.

Joyce smiled at the exchange between them. "Is she always like that", she asked, settling back into the couch.

"Oh, this little display? You no see nothing sef", Kwabena responded. "That woman is a terrorist". Akos' eyes crinkled in laughter, and her body sagged deeper into the couch.

"I like her". Kwabena's look must have been so incredulous. "Aaba, why look so shocked? She is assertive and straightforward. If I could be more like that, life would be so much easier". Kwabena observed a shadow pass over her face.