Chapter 21

I wedged my fingers underneath the slight opening in the window and slowly pushed it upwards, wincing as the cardboard there flopped onto the floor with a dull thud and the rickety window gave a loud grown. 

I clambered in through the opening and tiptoed over to my door. Putting one ear against it, I listened for any sound that I might've alerted my uncle to my presence, but there was none. Letting out a relieved sigh, I stepped away from the door. Uncle had probably gone to help the others after what had happened yesterday. 

I sat on the edge of the bed and put my face in my arms. I didn't want to leave, but I had to. For one, I couldn't let the villagers discover Eridor, and considering what had happened over the past week, that was becoming highly likely. For two, we needed to help the Resistance. After hearing Rivildor tell us about what Isengard and his dragon had done to everyone, mythical and humans alike, we needed to do something! 

I opened my eyes and stared down at the worn stone floor under my feet as I remembered what the Edward and the others had told me earlier.

Flashback:

"We need to leave as soon as possible. We've already wasted enough time here." Edward announced loudly, turning from where he'd been looking at a map that he'd spread out on the ground with Erthor. "We've done what we came here to do. We know that Narkul and the elf child are safe...where ever they are, and we've done one better than finding Eridors' egg."

He loudly proudly at where Eridor stood, his right wing curled slightly around me, his head resting above mine, tilted to the side as he listened to Edward. "Eridor has hatched for his rider. After all these years, we finally have a real chance to win this war." 

"When are we leaving?" I inquired, my heart aching as I thought about what I would tell uncle Hertray. I had to say something, otherwise he'd go crazy with worry. 

"Tonight is best." He answered, ducking his head to look back at the map. 

"Tonight!" I repeated, shocked.

Edward looked up at me from where he was kneeling on the ground, nodding as Aldren traced a route on the map with his finger. "Yes, tonight. Is there a problem with that?" He asked slowly.

"Why do we have to leave so soon?" I objected, my heart thudding with the thought of leaving Reala, my town. 

Edwards' eyes hardened slightly as he climbed to his feet. "You agreed to come with us to the Resistance E'scarlit. Are you going back on your word?"  

I felt Eridor stiffen slightly behind me at his tone, and a scowl flitted across my face. "No, of course not. I would never do that. Its just...I wasn't expecting to leave so soon." 

Edward nodded slowly, "Well, we must. It is crucial that we get you and Eridor to the Resistance."

"What are you going to tell your family Lyra?" Rivildor asked from where he was leaning against a tree, with his arms crossed over his chest. 

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. I can't tell him what's going on, but I don't want to just pick up and leave either. Uncle would go out of his mind with worry." 

"Uncle?" Fealdor interrupted, "Where are your parents." 

I looked away uneasily. I hated talking about my parents. I had no memory of them and it was obvious that they didn't want me since they'd dumped me on a strangers doorstep with no second thought. "I don't know." I answered breezily, thrumming my fingers on the hilt of my sword.

Erthor frowned in confusion. "You don't know." He repeated. "How can you not know who your parents are?"

I glanced at him before looking away, my eyes fixing on my fingers which were vigorously drumming a beat on the hilt. "Uncle found me on his doorstep unconscious one day when he can home from the town square. There was a box next to me that had my auric suit and this sword." I motioned towards it with my head without looking up. "I was sick and Meredith, our healer, said that I was starved, dehydrated and that it looked like I'd been in a fight.  When I woke up a few days later, I couldn't remember anything about my past. Nothing at all."