Chapter 7

As I broke through into the clearing where they waited I felt the soothing soft hum of Eridors presence in my head. He was laying on the ground with his wings open on the floor beside him. His massive head was resting on his paws. He was dazzling in the sunlight. The light danced off him like gems. His huge eyelids were closed but his head moved in my direction.

 Narukl was sitting down, leaning on a tree partly in the shade. As I looked more closely I could see that the sunlight didn’t even touch him. Instead, it went straight through him, like he wasn’t there and lit up the grass next to him. He looked up and our eyes met for a second. I turned away blushing deeply, as he stood up.

 Eridors stretched out body seemed to retract as he got up. His tail, and legs curled inwards. His huge green eyes focused on me and in one bounding leap he was in front of me. From what I was feeling of his thoughts I could tell that he was very happy about something.

 “So you caught something then?” I asked a smile tugging at the corners of my lips. It made me happy to see him.

 Eridor closed his eyes and his answer flowed into my head a few seconds later. My eyes closed automatically and then I floating in the sky. Eridor was soaring below me. Suddenly the world turned into a whirlpool and I was seeing through Eridors eyes, feeling what he was feeling. I was flying low above the forest, my nose filled with the sweet smell of deer. My stomach whirled with hunger. I breathed in deeply and instinct took over. My eyes locked on the biggest deer. He was eating grass, totally distracted.

 I locked my wing to my side and began my descent straight towards the deer. Waiting until I was directly above him, I spread my wings wide, banking, knowing that the gust of air would alert the deer. In the same movement my open claws locked around the deer’s stomach.

I landed in a pounce, the deer kicking and struggling under my grip. Lifting up my claw, I swiped at the deer’s neck. Blood gushed from the wound. He jerked wildly under my claws making urgent noises before it finally lay still. Lowered my head and tore at the delicious meat. The sweet taste matching the smell.

 Then I was back in my own body. My eyes snapped open and I gasped in shock stumbled back. The taste of raw meat and fresh blood was still tingling on the tip of my tongue. It had tasted good when I was Eridor, but now it tasted vile and repulsive. It tasted like I had eaten it myself. I fought the urge to spit.

 Taking a deep breath I looked up at Eridor, my eyes filled with wonder. “I’ll take that as a yes.” I assumed, smiling. “But how did you do that. It was amazing! I was inside you! No, I was you! I felt everything you felt, everything!”

 Out of the corner of my eye I saw Narukl step forward. “Yes, how did you do it? I’ve never heard of anything like it?” I could feel Eridors happiness at the respect and admiration behind his words.

 It is simple. You can do it too Lyra. The connection goes both ways. You simply have to think of a certain memory. Then you think of me there with you and it flows into my head. You can stop it whenever you want by simply forgetting me so I’m not in your memory anymore.

 “Amazing.” Breathed Narukl, his eyes were wide and his mouth hung slightly open in amazement and shock.

 Now that you know how, young one can I ask you a favour.

 “Sure, anything.” I replied, only half listening. My mind was still thinking about what Eridor had told me. It opened up so many possibilities.