Chapter 8 - Art of Closeness

Start from the beginning

Without arguing and without agreeing, Amelia walked away holding Ava hand. Her silence brought satisfaction for Ashley and he grinned, knowing he won this time.

"When did you plan hiking?" Archie questioned bitterly, he did not like being left out of a planning.

"Just now" Ashley shrugged and stuffed his things in bag.

Beside them, Ethan worked silently and did not let himself be the part of the argument.

"You should have informed us, before involving girls." Archie pointed sharply, he did not mind hiking but being shocked was surely not his favourite thing.

"Do you have any problem with my idea?" Ashley questioned in same tone, stopping his work and turning to Archie. His arrogance showing on his face.

Archie hesitated. Denying the idea meant losing his moment with Ava and he wasn't ready for it.

"But we are friends, Ash" Archie came with answer

"Is that you Archie, saying we are friends?" Ashley asked with amused smirk.

Archie looked away and didn't answer. Ashley was his friend but he wasn't going to admit that he remained annoyed of Ash so to knock some sense in his thickhead.

"Someone is changing!" Ashley said taking pleasure in troubling Archie.

Archie grunted and busied himself in packing. Smirks from Ashley did not go unnoticed by him, but he acted not seeing anything.

In their little moment, Archie and Ashley did not realize the weird behaviour of Ethan. His unusual silence, which didn't allow him to stop the argument of Archie and Ashley, as he would do usually.

.

Swirling the spoon in her hand, Amelia watched the silent Ava. Her dropped head, busy in eating, clearly showed Ava was ignoring her.

Being together from childhood, they could easily pick the subtle feelings of each other, through the gestures and actions. Nothing about the other was hidden from them. Even if they tried to hide, their eyes would give away their feelings. So, secrets weren't part of their relation. Not before. Not now. Not ever.

"Tell me, why the name Archie, is suddenly repulsive to you?" Amelia asked bluntly. Beating around the bushes, wasn't part of their relation.

Ava dropped her spoon in plate and raised her head. Her green eyes met with the light brown eyes of Amelia. Silence, and then Ava gave an audible sigh. Leaning on chair, she dropped their eye contact and pressed her forehead.

Worry pooled in Amelia eyes, but she didn't dare to break the silence. The question was spoken and the answer was going to be the only source, breaking the silence.

"Because" Ava pressed her lips and make an eye contact, giving away the answer to Amelia, but words were meant to be spoken.

"Am afraid" Ava accepted quietly

Amelia watched her intently and Ava avoided looking at her. Their mind playing a moment, they lived in their childhood. A gross memory, they were not able to erase from their past.

"What did you notice?" Amelia asked when Ava did not dare to explain her fears

Ava inhaled sharply and took the glass, half filling it with water. Taking a quick gulps, she placed the glass on table and watched the shallow water, swirling in glass. Gathering her thoughts, she looked at Amelia this time.

"Coincidents!!" Ava answered "so many coincidents that I'll hardly call them coincident."

Amelia brows furrowed. Clasping her hands over the table, she leaned forward, wanting to know more.