Chapter 8

These days I had nothing better to do than stare at walls and work. I was not coping well.

Tristian was the only person who could make my day better. His awkward laughs and kind words were the thread that hung me to the reality.

I knew for sure he liked me more than a friend and I had not been pushing away.

I had to get over someone and it was not going to happen if I did not put myself out there.

Tristian seemed nice. If he was serious about me then I would do anything to keep it that way.

There were instances where our hands brushed, he had to keep a tight hold on me in crowds and our bodies melded in buses and we just ignored without making anything awkward.

I ignored certain steel grey eyes which resurfaced when I closed my eyes. I refused to acknowledge what happened at the party.

I refused.

I had to move on.

It was nothing but a nightmare. It was not true. It was not real.

Tristian was real, he was true.

Tristian and I went to this café. A new one.

He wanted to go there for so long but schedules always clashed. He waited for me to be free and I was happy that he did.

The café was cute and cosy. The ambience was set up in a romantic way even though it was only late afternoon.

There was so much silence in between us unlike other times. It was not uncomfortable just heavy.

Was it because there were other couple engaged in whispered conversations?

We normally talked about work and other mundane topics, but that was not something to whisper about. We silently finished our coffee and cake while giving each other smiles and blushes.

We were now standing in front of it waiting for other to talk. We could not just leave without proper good bye.

Why was this day so different?

Because I did not take my hand back from his handshake in the beginning until he reluctantly let me go after seating me? Because he announced I was with him and placed his hand on small of my back to a flirty waitress?

It had passed an hour but the difference remained.

"I do not know if I am reading so much to this but..."

He leaned and pecked on my cheek.

His eyes were expectant but he was bracing like I would punch him or something.

I was not shy but I had no idea what to say. So I watched the beautiful flowers in front.

"Ummm, I can absolutely hear your answer already. Well, here goes nothing. I mean, you can probably guess. Of course you can guess because you are really smart and really beautiful. You are really beautiful. You have amazing smile and... your eyes are like a calm sea, so clear and beautiful and very beautiful and... you are very beautiful..."

I wanted to laugh but I tried not to and looked at him.

He sighed and his shoulders relaxed.

He continued smiling, forgetting he had something to ask me.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." He was still smiling.

"You have something to ask?"

"Oh." His eyes widened. "Ooh. right! Right. Right, I have something to ask." He gulped. "If I asked you out, on a dinner date, or a coffee date or any date that you are comfortable with, would you say yes? Because I would love to date you. I mean no pressure on how the date goes, a park date will be okay too... or a bowling date... or a..."

"Yes."

"I knew you would say that but if I never asked I would never know, you know. And I will regret it for rest of my life... so... wait... you said yes. As in yes-yes?"

"Is there any other yes?"

"You said yes. Oh my god."

I blushed at how awkward he was making this. It was adorable.

"Oh my god."

"Please stop making me regret it." I ducked my head.

"Oh, sorry... It is just... Just..." He was rocking on his heels.

I smiled and nodded.

"So... I will see you tomorrow? I have to go and collect some data on how to take the most beautiful person out on a date."

My face was on fire.

"Tristian. Stop it."

"Stopping." He pursed his lips.

"See you tomorrow." I confirmed.

"Yeah." He waved.

He did not make a move to leave.

So, I leaned for a hug and he went for a kiss on cheek. He backtracked and leaned for a hug and I went for a kiss thinking he wanted it.

We settled for an awkward handshake.

I gave him a smile and walked away.

I almost crossed the road when I saw Tristian came running and panting.

He rose his forefinger at me to wait, until he took sufficient oxygen clutching his knees.

I was flabbergasted.

"I uhh don't know what you said yes to." He made it out with lot of gasping in between.

I was confused.

"You said yes. I was thinking and smiling about it, then I noticed; I asked you, if I asked you out on a date, would you say yes."

I nodded but at complete loss.

"So..." He was nervous.

"So what?"

"Did you say yes, as in you would say yes if I asked you out on a date or yes, you would date me because, I did not really ask you out on a date? Even though the outcome will be the same but I would love to... Did I make it worse? I made it worse, didn't I?"

I did not know what made me laugh.

When was the last time I laughed this hard?

I wiped the tears from the corners of my eyes still chuckling.

He was standing so heart-broken and like a kicked-puppy.

"You can ask now."

"So, I still have a chance?"

"One way to find out."

He wiped his hands on his slacks.

"David, would you please go on a date with me and bring a ray of hope to my miserable, monotonous life?"

That was beautiful!

"Yes, Tristian. I would very much love to go on a date with you and try to bring a ray of hope for you."

His smile was so precious.

This time he leaned in for a kiss and I gave him one, whole heartedly, right on his tomato cheek.