Chapter 25: Nadia's Plan Is Simply Psychotic

Beginne am Anfang

I know that she's trying to be a mother right now.

"But you have to tell the lawyer the entire story if you want to be out of here because I don't want my children to be transferred to a rehabilitation center." Mom said.

Mom gently caressed my hand and her gentle stroke made me feel safe.

"Have I failed as a mother, Lana?" She asked.

Her question caught me out of the blue. She asked me a question that I know the answer of.

I mean, she didn't bother showing up and asked how I'm doing when my condo was on fire. She wasn't curious where I'm currently living. She doesn't even know that I got fired three months ago.

It only takes a trip to the city jail for her to question her parental skills.

"You just have flaws, mom." I smiled. "I know that you're trying."

If the situation is different and if she had asked me that same question three months ago, I'd answer differently.

I'd probably say to her on how incompetent and self-centered she is. I'd tell her that all of my rebellious acts were my ways of hoping that she'll care for me even if it means you'll end up scolding me.

I've wanted to tell her that but times like this made me realize that we're all trying.

"You know, I expected a heartbreaking answer." Mom said. She sounded emotional and she teared up a bit too.

"We're going to get through this, okay?" I assured her.

"Okay." She said. As my mother continued caressing my hand, she noticed something. "Isn't this your grandfather's watch?"

"What...?" Mom pointed out the vintage watch that I was wrapped around my wrist. It didn't bother me up until now that I was wearing it the entire time.

"I saw your grandparents' wedding picture and he proudly wore that." Mom said.

"He did...?" I am dumbfounded right now. All this time I was praying to God to help me bail out in here when in fact, the answer to my prayer is on my wrist.

I recalled the time that I wore it. It was that day when Joshua found out that we're distant cousins.

I remembered Joshua storming out of the house. He was disappointed at us but mostly at me. I followed him and asked for his forgiveness but he didn't flinch at all. At that moment, I was desperate. I want my friend back.

I was terrified that my actions might lead to Joshua taking back the time machine that he invented. I didn't realize any time sooner that he didn't take it away.

He just left.

I was overthinking a lot at the time that the only thing that made sense was to go back to the past.

It was that time I realized that I can still fix everything before it became a mess. I went back to the study room and took out the time watch but as I went out, everything that happened lead me here.

It then lapsed on my mind that I was wearing it all along.

"I wonder how much the value of the vintage watch you're wearing." Mom's interest piqued as her eyes glimmered at the watch. I pulled my hand away from her.

"Don't even think about it, Mom." I glared at her.

Nadia went inside the interrogation room. She glared at me and cleared her throat once she realized that I am not alone.

"So, this must be your mother." Nadia nonchalantly said.

"It seems that Jay didn't introduce you to our mother." I smirked. "I guess he doesn't love you that much at all."