Chapter 31

Friday 13th December

"Lola! What do I even wear on a date?" I scream from my wardrobe, the anxiety finally consuming me. The past two days since Cole asked me on a date have been torture, a constant state of panic. I've never even had a boy like me before, let alone ask me on a date.

"Well, where are you going?" she asks calmly.

"I don't know! He wouldn't tell me! He just said to wear something comfy and warm." I groan in frustration at Cole's stupid surprise date idea.

"My brother; the ultimate idiot. Let me see what you have." she suggests, joining me in my wardrobe.

"Ok... so, you need something warm, meaning jeans not a skirt for once... What about these light blue ones?" I nod my head yes and she smiles, turning back to look at the racks of my clothes.

"Good. Now, for a top I think just something plain white to keep it simple. Ummm, maybe this roll neck so you don't get cold?" I've never worn the top she's holding up before so say yes and hope it looks nice.

"Then you'll need a jacket cos it's fucking freezing outside right now and so will only get colder as the night goes on... Oh, this pink one is amazing! That's the one! Now you just need some white trainers or something but we can get those later. Go try the outfit on!" she demands excitedly.

After I put the clothes on, I glance at myself in my bathroom mirror. The clothes are really nice, proving Lola's style is on point, as per usual. However, I can't help but notice that my stomach seems to be poking out further than usual and my thighs are filling the legs of my jeans out more. It's got to be a result of how much I'm eating at the minute... I try not to think about it too much and walk out to show Lola.

"It looks perfect!" she screams in excitement. "Cole's gonna die when he sees you. Now time for hair and makeup."

*****

Lola went home about an hour ago and I have five minutes before Cole arrives to pick me up. Looking in the mirror, I'm somewhat happy with my appearance; my hair and makeup is done to perfection thanks to Lola and the outfit is amazing, also thanks to Lola, but my eyes can't seem to draw away from my stomach. It's emphasised so much in this tight top, as opposed to the slightly looser tops I usually wear.

I feel a tear fall from my eye but before I can spiral into a full blown mental breakdown, I hear the doorbell ring

I feel a tear fall from my eye but before I can spiral into a full blown mental breakdown, I hear the doorbell ring. Nobody is at home right now so I don't have to worry about anyone answering it and questioning me.

Wiping the fallen tear from my cheek, I grab my bag and open the door, expecting Cole to be standing in front of me. However, I look up to meet the eyes of Tyler. As soon as I can fully grasp the fact that Tyler is stood in front of me, I go to slam my front door shut but his foot blocks it.

"Hattie, please. I just want to talk, come on!" Tyler shouts while trying to push my door open.

Realising I won't be able to shut the door or fight Tyler's force pushing it against me, I give in.