Chapter 27

Cole's POV

After I kissed Hattie, the walk home was a little awkward, neither of us knowing what to say to each other. But when I offered her my hand to hold, she took it and held it for the rest of the walk. That's probably a good sign that she doesn't hate me for kissing her.

I wanted to do it all night, ever since I saw her in that dress she was wearing, but I could tell something happened on her shopping trip with Lola. She looked fairly happy on the journey there but on the way back her eyelids were drooping and she was slumping in her seat, as opposed to her normal straight posture. She just looked miserable. I hated seeing her like that, so defeated. I just wanted to make it all better but she wouldn't tell me what happened, kept insisting that she was fine when it was so clear she wasn't. I wish she wasn't so fucking stubborn.

I was going to stay with her all times at the party because she just looked so broken but I needed to go to the toilet so I had to leave her. When I returned, I saw Tyler sitting in my place on the couch. At first, I thought that he and Hattie were flirting but then I saw the way he was holding her wrist and the look on her face and realised what was really happening. I didn't know why I got so jealous at the thought of Hattie and Tyler flirting at first... until that kiss. That showed me everything I needed to know.

As we approached my house, all the lights were off and none of the cars were in the driveway, indicating my parents were both out at meetings for the night. I hope Hattie didn't mind that she was going to be home alone with me, but she didn't say anything so I assume she was fine with it.

"Uh, do you have a change of clothes here?" I asked, secretly hoping she didn't so she could wear my clothes again. She shook her head as a reply.

"I would say you could borrow some of Lola's but she locks her bedroom door whenever she leaves the house because she doesn't like the cleaner going in there and touching her stuff. So, you can borrow mine if you'd like..." I trail off at the end, waiting to hear her thoughts.

"Um, yeah that's fine with me." she replies.

I lead her up to my room, noticing the slight uncertainty of her walk. She looks shaky on her feet, like she's going to collapse. I don't want to say anything to her about eating, afraid to upset her even more tonight but at the same time, I feel this urge to know so I can help.

We enter my room and she sits on my bed, silently grasping the bedpost for support. I look at her in her dress and notice how frail she looks, like if I were to bump into her, she'd break. She looks skinnier than the last time I saw her, if that was even possible, a clear indication that she hasn't eaten in a while. I decide to ask her about it as I search through my wardrobe for some PJs she can wear.

"Hattie?" I get her attention "When was the last time you ate?" the fake smile she was wearing just seconds ago drops and her face becomes even paler, if that were even possible.

"W-what do you mean?" she asks as she looks away from me, trying to hide her face.

"You know what I mean, Hattie... I'm not gonna be mad. I just want to know." I meant what I said, I wouldn't be mad... she just looked so ill.

"I don't really know." she replied as I shut my wardrobe doors and walked towards her.

Not knowing doesn't sound like a good thing in relation to eating; it's understandable if you don't remember what you ate but when is another story, especially for someone like Hattie.

"Ok... so, are you hungry?"

Her face dropped, she almost looked angry but mostly she just looked defeated.