Chapter Sixty-Three: Character

"You don't have to do this." It was a last-ditch effort to keep her safe, but Wyatt knew she would never accept it. They were in this together until the bitter end. Some how Wyatt knew that Paul could really see the future and that this was what he saw. He wasn't around for long, but he made an impact that changed the outcome of their futures.

"You know I do." Sophie gave a reassuring smile before heading into battle. Wyatt watched for a moment. Admiration gleaming from his eyes as he watched the once sad girl go off to fight a war and stand up for a friend. There was no doubt in his mind, this is who they were meant to be.

"Tell me something. Did you actually think that you could win?" Charlie circled Karen as he taunted her with doubt.

Karen's eyes stayed focused on the shadow axe in his hands. "Did you?" Karen dove at Charlie's feet hoping for a surprise attack.

Charlie smirked at her childish advance and charged. He was ready for this to be over and for Karen to be dead. Boredom was licking at the edges of the dark smoke that encircled his being. With a quick adjustment, Karen narrowly missed the axe as it swung down towards her head.

Pushing herself up from her knees, Karen watched every move that her adversary made. She was going to make sure that he died the true death. There would be no power in the universe that could keep his ghost in such a state. No, Charlie would be dead, and he would never be able to show his ugly mug ever again.

"We're almost there!" Delphine called back to Joe. "It's just around this corner." Joe felt his body sigh. He knew that the battle was far from over, but at least they would be able to help the others now.

Joe was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't notice when Delphine stopped. Still running, Joe slammed into Delphine causing them both to land in a heap on the floor. "Why'd you stop?" Joe asked the question as he rubbed his head.

Delphine responded with a shh; her eyes fixed ahead. Joe peered around Delphine to see what had her so transfixed. Standing in front of the door was a boy covered in blood.

"Who is that?" It was a whispered question; fear had his mind racing.

"No one good." Determination molded her face. She needed to find a way past him. Delphine's eyes scanned the space in front of her, what could she use? The thought of fighting him seemed a little daunting.

"But who-" Delphine turned and placed her hand over Joe's mouth before he could finish the question. Her eyes burned intensity as she shook her head. This wasn't the time for a Q and A. They needed another way in that room. Delphine hadn't spent a lot of time in this house while she was alive, but after she died, she'd discovered a lot about this place. There weren't any secret passages, but there was a kitchen.

Delphine scanned the dark hallway for the door. It was a little way down the hall from where the boy stood. Eyes scrunched, Delphine observed as he would peak through the crack in the dining room door for a few moments before checking the hall and then looking down at his shoes. If they timed it perfectly, then they might be able to sneak past him.

Jason glanced through the opening in the door again. He didn't know why, but he wanted to go in. He felt pulled into that battle. However, he also felt like she should stay in the hallway guarding the door. When he'd first entered this house, he was led to wait in the dining room. It seemed oddly strange for that to be written off as coincidence.

Turning to check the hallway, Jason could have sworn he caught a glimpse of someone lurking behind the corner. It would be simple enough to check, though that would mean abandoning his post. He could holler at over in that direction and draw them out, but what would be the point? If they wanted to get into the dining room and join the battle, then they would have to get through him first and there was no way that he was going to let that happen.