12

*Gobbledygook*

$Parseltongue$

-August 1st, 1987-

{Remus' POV}

Remus looked up at Alex's words. What could they possibly want to give him?

"Ok," he said slowly. He completely trusted his cub, but he was partially apprehensive about what they wanted to give him. They seemed worried about it. Alex produced a glass phial from behind their back. The phial was filled with a vibrant aqua potion, a stopper in the top.

"This is for you. It's the last potion I made with Sal, and I made it for you. I swear, it's totally safe. We tested it and the results were observed for a few months so there are no side effects, I swear," Alex rushed out.

Remus took the phial from Alex and studied it closely. He then removed the stopper, sniffing the potion. It smelt like the wolfsbane that he had taken a few times. He didn't normally take it; it was too expensive to buy, and he didn't have anywhere near the potions skills to make it himself. He observed the royal blue steam swirling off it.

"What is it? It smells and looks like wolfsbane, even the steam swirling off it, but its a different colour," he said. Alex smiled.

"That's because it is wolfsbane, but an improved version. Plus, you only have to take it once, it works for the rest of your life," Alex said. He looked at them, trying to see if they would give anything else away. Their face, however, was in a blank mask except for a small amount of happiness in their eyes.

"Ok. Do I take it now?" At Alexs nod, he placed the phial to his lips and drank the whole thing in one. He grimaced at the taste; it was even worse than the wolfsbane had been. It tasted vile. The potion seemed to burn in his blood, making him clench his fists in pain. The burning seemed to travel around his whole body, before the pain began to fade. He felt his body change, a difference in his soul that he couldn't quite pick.

"You have to wait for it to take effect. It should be ready for you to try out after lunch," Alex said, and Remus took the hint. They both dug in. He was trying to work out what the potion was changing inside him as he ate but wasn't able to pin it. He finished his food quickly, eager to find out what the potion did.

Alex finally finished and stood up, leading him out into the backyard.

"So, first, do you know how someone changes into their animagus form? Or do you know how exactly you change into the wolf during full moons?" Alex asked.

"Well, I don't know how I change into a wolf, I can't really pay attention to that through the pain. But from what I heard James and Sirius say, you just allow your inner animal to take over and let your magic change your body," he replied, not entirely sure where Alex was going with this.

"Well, can you do that? Allow the wolf inside you to take over, let your magic guide the transformation."' Remus shot Alex a confused look. They should know that he only transformed into a wolf during full moons. But he trusted them and did as they instructed.

He calmed himself and let his wolf come forward. He felt his magic surround his body and his wolf push forward. He suddenly felt his body change. It was no where near as painful as a full moon transformation. His back arched and he fell onto his hands and knees as his hands became paws. His clothing disappeared, replaced with hair all over his body. His face shifted and lengthened, his ears moving to the top of his head. What was once a painful transformation his body was forced through, had become a gentle and easy action.

Standing in wolf form, Remus looked at Alex. Their emotionless mask had disappeared, the happiness evident on their face as they grinned at him. Then, they shifted too. They had told him that they had become an animagus but hadn't said what their form was. And seeing them transform into an animal was different than just knowing they could.

Their body changed, their robes becoming black fur, their limbs lengthening. A tail grew and their hands and feet become paws. In no time at all, a black panther stood in front of him. He walked over and nudged the panther, using his head to gesture towards the forest that the cottage was surrounded by. Alex seemed to get the idea, turning and running into the trees.

They spent the next hour just running. They raced through the trees at times, other times simply loping easily beside each other, enjoying the company. They finally came back to the house and Alex immediately transformed back into a human.

"All you have to do it push the wolf backwards. Not too far, but far enough for the human to come to the surface. Allow your magic to wash over you and focus on your human self." Following Alex's instructions, Remus felt his body change again. The fur retracted, his claws disappearing as his paws became hands. His magic washed over him, pulling his wolf away from the surface. Soon, he stood human again.

"That was incredible Alex. What else does the potion do?"

"Well, you already know that it allowed you to transform. Simply put, your wolf has become an animagus form and you can change into it at will, except during new moons and full moons. During new moons you won't be able to transform at all. On full moons, you will still be forced to transform. The transformation won't be painful, it will feel just like every willing transformation. But your wolf will be even closer to the surface, the instincts and urges much more prominent. However, you will retain your human mind and coincide with the wolf, instead of one battling against the other for control. The wolf instincts such as protecting you pack will still be there, whether human or wolf," Alex explained.

"That is amazing Alex. Thank you so much for this gift," he said. He walked towards his cub, kneeling down to be the same height as Alex. He wrapped his arms around the child, hugging the tight. Alex was stiff at first, but quickly relaxed into the hug.

"You're welcome Remus. I wanted to make your life better," they said quietly. Remus couldn't think of anything to say to that. Alex had created a whole new potion, a potion that they could sell for thousands of galleons. And they had created it just for him.

~

{Alex's POV}

Alex hugged Remus tightly in return. They were so happy that he had liked their gift. They had thought he would but wasn't completely sure. And the happiness and gratitude evident in his voice made them even more happy.

Eventually, they pulled out of the hug and moved back inside the house. They spent the rest of the day together, talking about how the living arrangements would work and such.

In the end they decided on a few things. Alex wouldn't be mentioned to others. They were fine with this, as they were used to not having much attention. If anyone came to visit, they would stay upstairs in their room. But that wouldn't happen often. Remus never got visitors.

Additionally, over the past two years Remus had begun to distance himself from the others. They had all changed and he just couldn't connect with them as well as he had used to. He wasn't with Sirius anymore, Sirius work with the aurors putting a strain on the relationship. He only visited James and Lily to see Alex, so he would slowly stop visiting.

They had worked out this plan and they were both happy with it. Alex would still have the freedom to experiment and research but would have someone always around who cared about them. Remus would have someone who he cared about living with him, while still being able to go about his every day business as usual.

Alex went to bed that night extremely happy and looking forward to the years to come.