Esme jumped to her feet as well, with a panicked expression. She extended her arms in front of her protectively, as the werewolves bared their teeth at her. They were starting to approach her menacingly— cornering her.

Dema jumped over the small hill, barely even managing to land right in front of Esme. She tumbled down slightly but jumped back to her feet in an instant. She immediately placed herself in front of Esme, straightening her spine as she snarled threateningly at them.

Jared locked eyes with Dema, not even hesitating as he growled. They were about to attack when all of a sudden, Emmett came to their rescue. The wolves whimpered as Emmett tackled both of them and immediately knocked them out with impossible strength.

There's a moment when Emmett and Dema turn to look at the wolves silently. They both had a sudden urge to end the wolves' lives, but they had to settle with glaring at them. Carlisle rushed to his spouse's side and embraced her for a second, before ushering her away from there.

"Let's go," Carlisle said, and Emmett and Dema immediately followed.

Carlisle kept holding onto a shaken-up Esme, as they dashed through the forest. After what seemed like seconds of silence, a shuddering growl echoed through the woods. Dema's ears twitched slightly, as the wolves wasted no time in following after them. In a matter of seconds, they caught up to them— since the Cullens were clearly in a weakened state.

"We'll never make it!" Emmett exclaimed, panic flashing through his eyes.

Carlisle and Esme didn't even turn back to him, as they kept running. But Dema knew they were panicking as well.

After all, Emmett was right. They wouldn't all be able to make it.

The river came into view as they approached the cliff. Carlisle held tighter onto Esme, as they made the jump. They landed roughly on the other side. Emmett jumped a second after and struggled to land as graciously as they always did.

Dema skidded to a halt. Hesitating on whether to jump or not. The wolves would be able to make the jump perfectly, and they'd be struggling to outrun them again.

They'd catch up to them, in no time.

They wouldn't be able to make it.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Emmett yelled as Dema took a step back from them.

"Dema..." Esme said softly, as her eyes flashed to the running wolves behind her. "Jump!"

The she-wolf simply turned her back to them. She made quick eye contact with Jared, as he approached her at a great speed. She glanced back at the Cullens once again, making sure they were safe.

They're going to make it, she thought. I just have to divert Jared and Brady. Outrun the second strongest werewolf. Sounds... easy enough.

Carlisle made quick eye contact with Dema. He gave her a thankful nod, which she returned.

"Let's go," Carlisle said softly. "We can't go back."

That was the last thing she heard from them, right before they vanished. Dema turned to the raging werewolves, and right as they were a few feet in front of her, ready to collide against her, she leaps over them. She landed right behind them, as they skidded to a halt, their mouths ajar. She wasted no time, and darted away from them, back into the forest.

They growled and snarled as they followed after her. She's leading them away from the Cullens and struggling to keep her pace up. She knows it's just a matter of time until Jared outruns her, and —possibly— attacks.