Chapter IX

Slowly, I gathered my strength. Slowly, I turned to the right. Slowly, I walked forward.

  I'm not sure how long it was that I walked; it could have been hours, or maybe it was only minutes, but it felt like days. Every step hurt. Is it possible to feel your muscles slowly giving out? I walked toward the right for what felt like forever, and then I started making turns. First, the compass-like thing would tell me to walk left for a little, then it would point to go turn to go forwards, then diagonal, then back to right. With every new turn, I found myself getting dizzier and dizzier.

  Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, but in the distance, I swear there are city lights. It is now almost dark, but I don't notice the difference; my vision was already so black and fuzzy from lack of sustenance and almost passing out. If my tired eyes are correct, and what I see in the distance really is a city, then that means that this compass-like thing has saved me. Unfortunately, if I'm wrong, it means I am officially about to die. Obviously, I am hoping for the former.

  After walking for who knows how long, my legs gave out. I tried to force myself up, tried to keep walking, but I couldn't.  My feet have taken me to a small clearing in a hillside, and my sick, dying body leans against a nearby tree. The faraway city lights and their symbol of hope slowly started to disappear as all of the city's inhabitants slowly started to fall asleep. Those lights will always be in the distance, a symbol of where I could never reach, an impossible destination, filled with many lives overflowing with happiness. A happiness that I have never had. A happiness that I could only dream of feeling.  As I sink to the ground, I feel myself slowly starting to give up. I feel my light- the life inside of me, the ever-present flame burning deep in my soul- and just like the city lights far off in the distance, my light starts to flicker, about to burn out.

Author's Note: Sorry for such a short chapter, the next one will be longer but I really wanted to end this chapter like this. Anyways, please vote and comment on this story with your ideas! Thank you so, so, so much for reading!