Chapter V

One good thing did happen while I was on one of my trips to the liquor store for my parents though.

  I was on the side of the road, and sprinting to get home in time, when I saw a flash in my peripheral vision. I stopped, confused and walked over to where I had seen the flash only two seconds ago.

  There was nothing that really jumped out at me. Nothing except a small wooden disk that is.

  I picked it up, carefully so that whatever it was wouldn't break. When I looked closely, I could see what must have made the flash. It was a small silver needle with an arrow at the end. The wood looked fancy, like something we would never be able to afford. The thing looked like one of the pictures of mahogany that I'd seen in school. And the needle looked just like a needle of a compass.

  In fact, I think it is a compass. It looks exactly like one. I take a closer look, searching for the north, west, east and south symbols. They are nowhere to be seen. I only see a small engraving. Go here. It said.

  Strange.

  I've never seen anything like it before. It must be from another place because no one here could possibly afford something so extravagant. Everyone that lives in this small town we call home is poor.  We're the poorest, but everyone else is still poor. There are just woods and run-down houses as far as our eyes can see.

  Glancing back down at the mahogany compass-thing in my hands, I notice that the needle is spinning. Weird. It wasn't spinning before. I look back down, and it looks as if the needle is slowly coming to a stop. When it does, it is pointing left, towards nothing but woods. So, I guess this weird compass thing wants me to go to the woods.  Why? I haven't the faintest of ideas.

Authors note: Sorry this is so short! Thanks for reading!