"That's why I was hoping you brought your little boyfriend with you."

"He's not my-"

"Doesn't matter. But a year ago, shortly after I got wind of Renatta's schemes, Aphrodite was attacked by someone who was armed with a weapon that would change her life forever. Since then she's been recluse in her home and I know she'd be more than happy to find the bitch who tried to kill her."

"That's why she's been so absent? I assumed she was bored with this world."

"I doubt it. But if we speak to her, perhaps we could get some details about the attack which could lead to whoever is supplying Renatta and Jelena."

"Who could even create something that's powerful enough to harm a god?"

"We'll find out tomorrow afternoon. I'll pick you up sometime after one."

"You have her address?"

"I'm an investigative journalist. I have everyone's address." Cassandra rolled her eyes.

"Wait. I know you, Cassandra. You don't do anything without some advantage for yourself. What are you getting out of this? You never play the hero."

"Does it really matter?" She asked instead.

"Yes. How can we work together if I don't know that I can fully depend on you when the time comes?"

"Look, I'm not here to give you a sob story. All you need to know is that I lose the only person that truly gave a shit about me at the hands of those monsters and I'd much rather spend time doing something productive rather than pour my heart out to you."

And despite it being a rather blunt answer, it was enough for now. Besides she was still bothered by her own involvement in their plans. Whatever could Renatta gain from killing her?

"Stop thinking. I recognize that dumb curiosity swimming in your eyes. Sometimes things happen for a reason and Renatta's too unpredictable to ever truly understand her. Not that I care, but how have you been since your experience?"

"If you don't care, why ask?"

"Because I don't need a shaken partner when shit gets rough. Are you okay?"

"As okay as I can be. Honestly, it's been weeks and it feels like it just happened. Sometimes I'll lay in bed at night and sudden noises from the street will keep me up for hours. It's almost like someone's out there watching, waiting for the chance to finish the job.."

She trailed off, yet again reminded of the chills she'd get just thinking of it. Someone wanted her dead. She could have died. How could she ever move on from that?

"Then why don't you take a break. A real break. Go to a safe place. Somewhere that you feel as though you've escaped from everything. Relax before tomorrow."

"Maybe," she sighed, "well, this has been quite the evening. I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Right. Be safe."

She didn't know that she would with the looming fear for her life hanging over her head but she knew for sure of a place that would feel magical to her at this moment.

*

Theo surprised herself when she actually drove to the spot on the cliffside she hadn't seen in so long. But once laid eyes on the powerful waves below her feet she felt a euphoric sense of relief she didn't know would nearly bring her to tears.

But her short-lived peace could only last so long when she heard a familiar voice close behind her.

"You do know no one's allowed on my property, right?" Poseidon's humorous voice asked.