Chapter 10: Late Night Surprises

Elijah

"Maybe it's getting late, Joslyn," I said, after reviewing the numerous papers supporting Justice's case. "I think we better go."

"Yeah, maybe it is getting late," She yawned and stood up from the couch in my office. "You don't mind if I get a shot of this Don Julio before I leave, do you?"

"Sure why not, but only if you can drive home afterwards," I said, organizing the paperwork back into the file. 

"Of course, this is like soda for me," She laughed, throwing back a mouthful of my Don Julio that was resting in my cabinet.  I chuckled a little, thinking of Ava staggering immediately after taking a shot of it. "What's so funny?"

"I was just thinking of Ava drinking that...she's a lightweight, you know,  so she gets drunk fast," I said, standing up.

She laughed. "She has to come out with me more. She has play with the big girls sometimes to have fun," Joslyn said, giving me a devious look. I brushed it off and continued organizing my office. "How are you guys doing by the way?"

"Pretty good. We've been talking a lot and spending a lot of alone time together. It feels like I'm falling in love with her all over again," I smiled, blushing like I use to when we first started feeling each other.

"That's so cute," She pouted. "I want that. I want a friendship and marriage...like you and Ava."

"What's stopping you then?" I questioned, genuinely curious about her romantic life. She never seemed to talk about that. "I've seen many nice looking, well established guys try to pursue you around here. You never seem interested. Unless...you're playing for the other team?"

"Of course not," She laughed, getting a glass for another shot. "I just haven't found the right one and all the right ones are unavailable. Not sure if you noticed but all men are dogs, Eli. You think they love you and then boom, you marry them and the next thing you know they're fucking their secretary on a vacation trip to Dubai. Then...they call you during the trip to tell you they're divorcing you...I'm sorry, Eli."

"It's fine, I mean after all I did come to your with my problems. I want to help you too. Did that happen to you?" I asked.

"Yeah...when I was 24. Fresh out of law school, top of my class might I add. I was on top of world. I had a thriving career and the perfect husband. After 2 years, I found out that he was having an affair, the same time I found out he wanted a divorce. I was broken. But the whole time...I was just trying to figure out where it all went wrong...how it ended so badly. Ever since then, my career has been put first and I refused to take men serious."

"I think you should. I mean working hard in your career and moving up is great but coming home to your family is after a long day is even better. I won't disagree that some men are dogs but not all are. I know there's guy that will love correctly and loyally."

"Like you?"

"Huh?" I asked, getting a little uneasy by her question.

"I meant like you do with Ava," She clarified.

"Oh yes," I laughed. "Exactly."

"You give me hope, Eli," She said, standing up and stumbling a little.

"Woah, Joslyn, wait, are you okay?" I asked, watching her struggle to get her jacket on.

"I'm fine, Eli, I told you that I'm a big girl, remember?" She said, chuckling a little.

"I think you should leave your car here and I should take you home. I would be feel bad if something happened to you." I offered.

"Maybe I am a little emotional. That doesn't mix well with alcohol, does it?" She considered. "Let me just lock my office."

She disappeared and I grabbed my jacket and keys and locked up my office. I waited by the elevator for her and then we proceeded to go to my car. We drove mostly in silence to her house. Once we got there, she unbuckled her seatbelt and looked over at me.

"You okay?" I asked, hoping she wasn't feeling nauseous. I just cleaned my car.

"No..." Joslyn paused and looked away from me. "Eli, I'm in love you. I think about you everyday and every night before I fall asleep. Your face, your smile, your voice brightens my day, and the way you love and treat Ava makes me envious....because I want you."

I was shocked to hear what she was saying. I froze and looked at her in disbelief. "Joslyn..."

Before I could finished she leaned over and kissed me, trying to unbuckle my pants. I quickly shoved her away.

"Just give me one chance," She cried. "Eli...please."

"Joslyn, you have to go. Now!" I screamed at her unintentionally. I was upset and embarrassed. I felt like I betrayed my wife and it was all her fault. "Now!"

She popped opened my door and disappeared into her house in less than 1 minute. I sat there for a while trying to get my head together. Ava was right about Joslyn.

I fixed my clothes and pulled off 5 minutes later, trying to figure out how I was going to tell Ava and how this situation was going to effect Justice's case. I couldn't think straight.

I got home and immediately went into the downstairs bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. I felt dirty.

Once I was finished, I walked upstairs and into me and Ava's bedroom to find her up and watching a movie. She smiled once she saw me.

"Hi baby, what you doing up?" I questioned, sitting at the edge of the bed in just my towel. She reached over and took a piece of paper from the nightstand, then she handed it to me.

I looked down at the paper and immediately saw in bold letters "Congratulations, your Tubal Litigation Reversal was successful!"

I shot my head up at her instantly and smiled widely. "So this means...?"

She nodded, smiling too. "We can have another baby."

I leaned over and kissed her immediately. "Wait, Ava, I only want to do this if you want to do this."

"Baby I want this more than ever right now. Not just for you but for me. Before I was so focused on my career to keep our family together but these past weeks has made me realize keeping my family together requires me being here and being a mother and a wife...so I'm ready to give you-...I mean us another baby."

I smiled and placed the paper back down on the nightstand. I climbed on top of her, stripping her silk robe off and revealing her naked, warm body. We embraced closely, kissing, as she grabbed my towel and threw it across the room.

We made love so passionately and intensely that the whole Joslyn situation had slipped my mind. I figured I'd have to tell her another day. I was just so overjoyed that my wife was back.