Chapter 2

"Yo!"

The others in the gym turned towards the double-doors to see Kuroo and Y/n walk in. Kenma immediately recognized him and walked up to him, Yaku doing the same thing. They smiled up at him since he was taller. "Hey, Kozume, Morisuke."

"Glad to see you came to join up with us," Yaku said, a grin on his face.

"It's good to see you again, Y/n," Kenma added.

Y/n smiled. "Yeah. It's good to be back."

"What's going on over here?" the captain of the team said as he walked over to the group. "Kuroo?"

"Sorry, captain. Didn't mean to interrupt, but my friend here wants to join the club."

The older male turned to Y/n. "What's your name, and your year?"

"L/n Y/n. Second-year."

"Have you played before?"

"Back in Junior High. And my first year of high school in C/n. Wing spiker."

He seemed to be thinking for a little bit before extending his hand out to Y/n. "R/L/n R/n. Third-year and current captain of the volleyball team. Welcome to Nekoma, L/n-kun."

Y/n accepted the handshake. "Much appreciated, Captain."

--

"So, you gonna tell me about your grand adventures abroad in C/n, oh great traveler of the world~?"

Y/n chuckled. "Come on, you're seriously interested in that?"

"I don't know. You tell me~ Do I look interested~?"

"Fine. It was nothing big. My dad couldn't find a decent job around here and my mom... well, she saw an opportunity to start her business in C/n. When Dad heard that, he jumped onto the idea with her. So...we moved. It was hard to adjust to at first. C/n just didn't feel like home no matter how I looked at it. But, I did get a chance to get away from everything here. I cleared my head."

"So... you're...--"

"Over him? Yeah. Pretty much. It hurts to think about here and there, but...I came to the conclusion that he just wasn't worth it."

Kuroo smacked his back, making Y/n lean forward a little. "Well, then, it's time to look for someone else for you to date!"

"Huh?"

"Unless you have someone back in C/n~?" Kuroo said with a teasing smirk.

Y/n chuckled half-heartedly. "No. Not at all. Aish! Where'd you even get that idea?"

"You never know. There could be plenty of beauties overseas. Maybe a guy caught your eye~"

"Didn't happen."

"In that case, let's set you up with some blind dates!"

"No! No way!"

"Come on, N/n~! You need to get yourself out there!"

"No!!"

--

"I'm home."

Y/n sighed tiredly as he placed his duffle bag and school bag down. "Welcome back, Nii-chan."

He took off his shoes and uniform blazer. "Hey. Are the folks here?"

"No. They said they were gonna run some errands and would be back later."

"I see. Did Mom leave anything?"

"I don't think so. They were leaving just as I got home."

"I'll make something real quick as soon as I change out of my uniform," he responded as he walked up the stairs, S/n behind him.

"Okay."

"Is your homework done?"

"Almost."

"Almost?"

Y/n slid his door open, turning to her as if waiting for a response. She placed her hands behind her back, tilting her head slightly. "I...I was having trouble with some of it."

"If you want, I'll help you."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Thanks."

With that, she walked away, letting him go into his room to change. Y/n put on some comfortable clothes and made his way downstairs. He grabbed whatever he needed and got started on making dinner. As he did, he started thinking back on what Kuroo had told him.

To be honest...I haven't really been interested in anyone ever since I broke things off with Yuji.

"Y/n~"

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"Is that so?"

"Meanie~! Say it back."

"Heh, okay. I love you too."

He was so lost in his thoughts that the blade of the knife messed the vegetable he was cutting. He clenched his teeth, the sudden pain bringing him back to reality. "Ngh...!"

He looked down at his finger to see beads of dark, crimson blood forming in the now slit skin. "Shit..." he cursed under his breath as he quickly turned the faucet on, running his finger under the cool water.

S/n had heard a noise and peeked into the kitchen to see Y/n running his hand under water. He grabbed a napkin from nearby and applied pressure onto the cut, watching the blood bleed through the thin paper. He sighed, a feeling of frustration washing over him. S/n felt a slight pang of guilt at the scene. She swiftly went back upstairs to get the first aid kit. As she searched for it, she remembered hearing her brother sigh.

She clutched the box against her chest as she made her way back downstairs. "Nii-chan?"

Y/n turned to the voice. "Oh. S/n. I'm almost done with the food, okay?"

He moved his hand to where she wouldn't see, but she already knew. She walked over to him, revealing the first aid kit she hid behind her back before going into the kitchen. He sighed, seeing as he was already discovered. She grabbed his hand and started to disinfect the cut, watching more drops of blood form.

"It's a pretty deep cut. Please be careful next time, Y/n-nii."

"Okay--" He replied before wincing at the sting.

"Sorry."

She continued until she rubbed some ointment on it to ease any pain when he grabbed things, gently placing on a bandaid. "Thanks."

"Here. I'll help you."

S/n went to the cutting board and finished cutting the vegetables as Y/n mixed some ingredients together. "Sorry..."

"For what?"

"I was supposed to be making dinner..."

"Don't worry about it. You have enough to handle at school considering we just moved back. Let me help you once in a while."

"Okay..."

Why does Y/n-nii have to be burdened like this? Ever since mom and dad had the idea to start a business...he's been burdened with taking care of me. On top of that...he has his own studies to worry about. He has a lot to do to catch up with the others at school considering we moved back in the middle of the school year. Not to mention his practices after school. He told me he'd continue playing volleyball with some of his friends from back in Junior High, so...there's also that.

She glanced his way before continuing to cut.

Maybe I could ask him to teach me to cook... That way...I could make dinner for him when he comes home. Yeah. That's what I'll do! Nii-chan, I'll learn how to cook for you!