CHAPTER TWO

PENELOPE'S POV:
********************
My last period class is the only class I don't have with my friends. I hate it here, especially because it's history class. It's times like this I wish I could melt in the rain like those paper people.

"Alright class," Mr. Macklin begins, "it's time I assign a little project. In partners."

Oh great.

I quickly search around the room for Lia. She meets my eyes and mouths, "you and me?" I nod. Lia is the type of friend you're only close with in class. We don't really talk much if it's not during this period.

"You and your partner will choose a dance that was popular in the roaring 20s," Mr. Macklin continues, "you will then teach the class that dance by properly explaining while demonstrating it as well. Come over to the front desk to see who you will partner up with."

Of course he assigns the partners.

As I'm trying to scroll down the page to see who I'll be working with, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

At this point I believe the universe is against me. Out of all people it had to be him.

"Looks like we're partners," Eli says. He doesn't look happy either.

I'm not quite a fan of Eli. And that's only because of his friend Corey. Corey is the main reason I have a low self esteem. He's nothing but a bully, which I suppose Eli is one too.

"Cool," I say, picking on my nails. I want to go home.

ELI'S POV:
***********
This is bullshit.

I'm sitting down with Penelope, trying to decide which popular dance from the roaring 20s we should pick.

She said no to all of my suggestions.

"Fine, you pick," I say.

I can tell she's contemplating in her head. Finally, she says, "what about the waltz?"

"Sure."

I don't even know what that is but at this point I don't care. I just wanna get this over with.

Right away, I stand up to leave. "Where are you going?" She asks.

"We're done for now, aren't we?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Right...but um, how are we gonna work on this outside of school?" she stares up at me with her big brown eyes.

"We can text I guess." I reply.

We exchange numbers. The bell rings. I go home.

PENELOPE'S POV:
********************
On Fridays, the girls and I have get togethers. This time it was going to be at my house.

It's the day we catch up on gossip and our favourite shows as we stuff our faces with junk. This has become like our little tradition.

The door bell rings. "Dad, please get the door it's my friends!" I yell from my room, struggling to get my head through a shirt.

This is probably a sign that I'm gaining more weight. Great.

I reach for a hoodie laying on my bed and throw it on. Better.

••••••••••••

Luna and Dahlia keep going back and forth on what show to watch while I'm getting the snacks ready.

"Penelope, take some of these Korean candies too," my dad suggests. My Korean grandmother sends us snacks like twice a month. She tells my dad she wants her granddaughter to enjoy the snacks her son grew up eating. I really miss that woman.

"Have you two decided what show we're watching?" I ask Luna and Dahlia.

"Gilmore girls!" Luna exclaims.

We grab everything we need and sit on the floor. "You guys won't guess who Mr. Macklin partnered me with for a project," I quickly say and roll my eyes.

"Stinky boy Luke?" Dahlia laughs as she places popcorn in her mouth.

Thank God no.

"Girl who?" Luna adds.

I take a long breath, "Eli Alvarez,"

"He's so beautiful," Dahlia says. No, he's a dick.

"Wait is it like a bad thing that you two are partners?" Luna asks. No shit, Luna. It is a bad thing.

"Are you two forgetting all the things his friend Corey said about me. Your ex? Luna," I pull a face.

"Yes, but Corey said all those things, not Eli," Dahlia responds and Luna nods in agreement.

"Ok but still. Eli is probably exactly like Corey," I claim.

"Key word; probably," says Dahlia. Girl please. "What's the project on anyway?" She asks.

"So basically we have to find a popular dance from the roaring 20s and teach it to the class. We're doing the waltz."

"That's so cute wtf. I have to see this," Luna smiles at me.

"No way. You two will sure be getting touchy," Dahlia winks.

Gross. This is definitely not the reaction I expected from them.

ELI'S POV:
***********
I can't believe I agreed on the waltz dance. I'm gonna have to place my hand on her waist and our bodies only 1 inch away from each other. This is exactly what I didn't want, especially not with Penelope.

I reach for my phone to send her a message. There's no way I'm doing this dance. I write, "hey, we gotta do another dance. Something not physical."

3 minutes later.

"Oh, sure. You pick," she types back.

"The Charleston dance?"

"Sounds good."

"Cool."

Realizing how tired I am, I decide to cancel plans with Corey.

I feel this blackness come over me, like a blanket. Finally, I close my eyes and my consciousness ebbs away into a deep sleep.

••••••••••••••••

I hope you guys liked chapter 2! I'll try making chapters longer as I keep writing.