chapter IX: remind me why you care

(IX: 9)

i pull up my jeans and look for my belt around my floor since i haven't cleaned up. it's been a few weeks since i over dramatically yelled at Nick. i came home that night crying to my mom and told her everything. she let me stay home from school for a week. she knew i was too scared to face him yet. high school lately feels like some teen movie. i look at the clock and it's 7:12, i'm picking up Benjie, Lilac, and Elijah today. I'm finally going back to school. my heart felt heavy. i'm just anxious.

i walk into the dim lighted kitchen my mom opens the window current slightly blinding me. "Sweetheart are you sure you want to go? you can stay home again. we can eat junk food!" my mom smiles pouring herself coffee. "mom i have to go back. i don't even want to think how behind i am." i smile while grabbing a box of store bought donuts and pouring two large thermoses. "are you taking breakfast for your friends?" my mom laughed, "maybe. mom they missed me." i look behind my shoulder at her. "Lilac came over every day after school. speaking of? why didn't she just bring you your school work?" she gives me a harsh look. "it didn't come to mind? well i have to get going" she hugged me before i walked to the car.

i pick up Lilac and Benjamin first. while we drive to Elijah's house Lilac was telling me that we should all go on a trip this summer. she went on and on about gas station food, crappy hotels, smoking too much, and staying up all night listening to music. she wanted us to drive to a beach and camp out next to the ocean. it was something out of a book? Benjamin laughed at her and said we'd have to take my car.

Elijah got in the car and looked like he had been crying? Lilac handed him a donut and he forced a smile? "Elijah you okay?" Lilac said worried, "i'm fine. my moms boyfriend is just over a lot lately." i didn't know much about her boyfriend besides that Elijah didn't like him. he didn't talk the while way to school.

1st period:

Benjie walked you to class so the both of you could talk about trying to help Elijah. "i don't think he's sleeping ever since his moms boyfriend came back?" Benjamin's eyebrows frowns as he looked down at you. "what if he stayed with you for the week? just to get some sleep? would his mom let him?" you were anxious and scared for him. Benjie ran his fingers through his hair pushing it out of the way of his eyes. "she's let him stay with me before. i'll ask him." he kept looking forward.

you get to your first period room and Benjamin hugs you and kinda bent down to your eye level making you smile. "you. are. amazing." he smirked looking into your eyes with both his hands gripping your shoulders. you lean in putting your hands closer to the side of his head, "you. are. beautiful." this made him boom with happiness. something Benjamin loved talking about was why guys never got called beautiful? he wrapped you into a tight hug and then ran down the hall. feeling your feet float into class you felt your heart drop once Nick made eye contact with you. your cheeks got red and you sat down silently getting your work out of your bag. you plop down in your seat and pulled your jacket closer to you. it was freezing in class.

y/n POV:
"hey?" Nick whispered to me, i kept a straight face and kept reading my book not wanting to get in trouble. "y/n" i look up at him confused why he was taking to me. "why haven't you been at school?" he looked worried. i sighed. Ken laughed, "Nick leave her alone? she yelled at you and hasn't been at school to not be around that?" Nick gave him a annoyed look, "you know what dude that wasn't cool. i'm just asking a question." i smiled pulling out my notebook. "yeah well you're making her feel uncomfortable." Ken smiled, "im not you are. it was just a question." they went on back and fourth and i just did my work.

END OF THE SCHOOL DAY BECAUSE IM LAZY:

my bag feels heavy from all the work i missed. i walk to my car and see Lilac and Benjamin laughing and Elijah skateboarding around my car annoying some jocks while they try to get to their cars. one of them pushed him down and Benjamin was quick to push him back while Lilac helped up Elijah. i run up to them and push one the guys back. "what the fuck dude." he laughed. "don't touch me freak." i fell to the ground and elijah then helped me up. "why don't y'all just walk away now" Benjie looked at them like he was going to cut them. they scoffed and walked away.

we got in my car and started driving out the parking lot. we pass Nick and his group. i frown and Lilac looks over at them. "it's funny how people think they're freaks and we are freaks? when i personally thinks it's more of a freak thing to walk around thinking you're better then other people and wear big lettermen jackets." she kept looking out the window, Elijah laughed, "stop tryna be deep Lilac. y'all wanna go study at the dinner?"

"oh my god yes i need to catch up!" i sigh in relief, "can we skate there?" Benjamin asked and i told him of course. we set a time and i dropped them off at their houses. i went inside of my house and walked to my room.

i'm skateboarding there now with my bag on my back. i look up at the sky and smile, the sun was going down. i get there and see Elijah skateboarding around the parking lot, and Lilac on her roller skates and Benjamin trying to skate in the way of Elijah. i start skateboarding faster and cut off Lilac from turning and she yelped. "what is wrong with you! why y/n!!" she playfully pushed me and i kept laughing. "dude let's go in." Elijah smiled and wrapped his arm around me. we sit at a booth.

we started studying and ordering many many many french fries. i was able to caught up and lilac was able to finish her homework. Benjamin just kept trying to throw fries in Elijahs mouth while we studied. we all kept laughing now that i was trying to throw them into Lilacs mouth and they keep hitting her in the eye.

Nick and some of his friends walked in and went to order. i ate a french fry instead of throw it at Lilac. Benjamin laughed at me and Elijah just wrapped a arm around me and handed me one of the many plates of fries we had. i made eye contact with nick then. i felt my cheeks grow red.

but i then felt something on Elijahs other arm? i look at him confused and hold onto his arm

but i then felt something on Elijahs other arm? i look at him confused and hold onto his arm. he just huffed and shuffled himself in his seat. we stayed there until Nick left with his friends. every now and then we'd see him look at me.

skating home felt weird.