Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Astraea wandered the wilds before returning to Thanatos's mansion. She walked empty corridors. She lingered in his study where he passed most of the day, and most of the night. Thanatos was never so engrossed in his work, however, so as to be unable to make time for her. She smiled forlornly while running her fingers over the spines of his great leather bound books, yes, she sighed, he was dead.

The sorceress rid herself of her rain sodden garments, and put on a diaphanous nightgown. She had tattered hair, and dirt on her cheeks. Her red, teary eyes centred on something: the book of swords that Thanatos had dropped when the demons pronounced their evil either/or. Astraea wondered what had happened there. He was always so secretive.

Astraea collapsed into his armchair considering why he'd taken his own life. She thought for hours - unable to sleep. The thought of the tete-a-tete meeting hovered before her mind's eye: perhaps it was either him or her, and he'd chosen him. She felt a churning in her stomach when the realisation came over her. Thanatos had killed himself so that she may be spared - that must be it.

Falling back into the chair, Astraea's mind turned to Eros, who, knowing that she had betrayed him, couldn't kill her either. She sobbed before the fire. Eros and Thanatos, the two men she cared for, were gone. Crying herself to sleep, she couldn't escape the self-loathing she felt.

***

Astraea was in a grand chamber of luxurious dressings. The hour was late, but men in their illustrious robes spoke to one another precipitously. Advisors and foot servants ran here and there carrying missives while grand maps lay spread across tables.

"I'm dreaming of Arethusa again," Astraea thought.

The chief council member spoke; the meeting was convened. During the meeting many ministers voiced their opinions, and detailed courses of action that they felt ought to be taken. No minister gained ascendancy in the debate until one highly respected political heavyweight rose to speak. His name was Markus.

"My fellow ministers, war has consumed this land. We have all read the reports: nations are not being conquered, but annihilated. Diplomacy has failed; nations form alliances and then break them at the opportune moment. There is no longer any trust left. The world has become unstable."

The other ministers nodded, pain etched on their faces.

"I propose that we stay out of this. Let us set ourselves apart, remain neutral and hoard our strength. If war should come to us, we shall have the power to repel that attack. Any battle that would be fought would be on our doorstep, on our land, on our terms. We should not seek out any enemy, but wait. Patience is our main weapon."

While the elderly and worn ministers conferred, Markus seated himself.

The chief minister moved to call a vote when a terrified woman rose to speak - it was Arethusa.

"Honourable gentleman--"

"Arethusa you are well respected, but your years and consequently your wisdom are limited. Please do not risk embarrassing yourself in this time of great war," the chairman spoke in a manner that can only be described as patronising.

A smile broke across Arethusa's face, "I appreciate my learned friend's counsel, but in spite of it, I will speak."

The chairman merely flicked his wrist, beckoning for Arethusa to hurry up with it.

"My esteemed colleagues it is not a question of if, but when war will come. Merely retreating behind our walls will not suffice. We are surrounded on four sides. We are known for the strength we possess, and assuredly our enemies will unite in defeating us first before they turn on each other. We are a target. My learned friend Markus wishes us to fight on our own ground, but that would be to bring war down upon our loved ones. Our families would be sleeping on the battlefield."