2 - extremely handsome trouble

The castle was magnificent. There was no other word for it.

Twinkling lights lit up every window and reflected in the murky depths of the Black Loch as spiralling towers disappeared into the night sky and a twisting path, illuminated by flaming torches, leading up the hillside to the school's front doors. It looked like a fortress and a haven but it felt like home.

The dark waters of the Back Loch lapped at the edges of the train tracks and some of the first years were splashing around in the shallows as Emmy shivered in the cold.

The others headed off to the carriages with the promise of saving her a seat at the feast and she was left alone at the station surrounded by eleven year olds. She looked around awkwardly, pulling her robes tightly around her shoulders.

"Alright, you lot?" came gruff but cheerful voice from behind them. Emmy turned and her eyes widened in shock at the sheer size of the man. He had to be at least seven feet tall and his thick beard shook as he spoke.

"My name's Rubeus Hagrid an' I'm the gameskeeper o' the grounds here at Hogwarts. Now, it's three to a boat an' if anyone falls in, I'd like to make you aware that I cannae swim. So good luck to ya!"

With nervous laughs and terrified side-eye glances, they gingerly clambered into the row boats, seaweed sloshing around inside.

Emmy ended up in a boat with only one other student. She had bright pink bubblegum hair and a personality to match, introducing herself as Tonks.

"Ooh, I'm nervous, aren't you?" she chatted excitedly, as the boats began to float across the loch.

"A bit," Emmy smiled, "Can't wait though."

"So, what's up with you then? No offence but you look a little older than eleven," she continued.

Emmy laughed, "Oh, I've just transferred from Beauxbatons. I'm going into fifth year."

"Ah I see! Do you know what house you want to be in? I've always fancied either Gryffindor or Hufflepuff," she bubbled away.

"Probably Gryffindor, I think. Though I wouldn't mind any of them really."

"I just can't wait to get there! Do you think these boats go any faster?" she said, tipping the boat as she craned her neck to see in the water.

"I seriously wouldn't do that if I were you, there's not a chance the creepy loch by the magic school doesn't have monsters in it," Emmy replied hurriedly.

Tonks just giggled and stuck her hand in.

"You're probably right. Do you think they're friendly?"

Emmy burst out laughing at the look on her face.

—————

The Great Hall was a sight to behold. Airborne candles light up the room like stars and four long trestle tables ran along the flagstones.

It was like nothing Emmy had ever seen before. No matter how beautiful the gardens and halls of Beauxbatons, she was in love with this rugged landscape, the flaming torches and biting wind in a way she wasn't sure she'd ever be able to put into words.

The other students had begun to walk down the centre of the room following a woman who had introduced herself as Professor McGonagall.

She looked to be in her thirties and wore delicate brass spectacles, her hair in a neat bun and emerald green robes that flowed behind her as she strode towards the headteacher standing behind a golden owl lecturn thats feather moved as if alive.

Already halfway down the room, Emmy realised that if her brother had been hiding away on the train, he was almost definitely going to be visible now.

Looking around the hall, Emmy caught the girls peering over the heads of their classmates and once Lily had pointed her out began waving frantically, Marlene gesturing enthusiastically at the seat beside her.