"Better?" he asked after an uncountable moment with a lopsided smirk, trying to hide the remaining worry he felt for her. She didn't need to see that right now. Right now, she needed to focus on herself for once in her life.

"Much better. Thank you, Keefe," she breathed. Her mouth was right by his ear thanks to her head's position on his shoulder, and her breath so close gave him chills.

"So," he said, shaking off the warm fuzzy feeling growing in his chest, "what set off the massive Foster Rage Fest? Because I have never, ever seen a thing on your floor unless it's supposed to be there. Is Fitz rubbing off on you?"

"I uhhh... got a bit carried away, I guess," she mumbled, her head still tucked in the crook of his neck. She somehow fit perfectly.

Sophie sighed and leaned more heavily on him, as if he were the only thing keeping her up. He felt her lips brush across the bare skin on his neck for a split second as she adjusted herself, so he almost didn't hear her when she said, "You happened to show up a few minutes after I got some news from Mr. Forkle. Oh, I'm so sorry," she stammered, as if just remembering herself. "Did you need something? Ugh, I'm terrible. I just dumped all my problems on you, and didn't even ask why you came. Is everything okay?"

"Let's say I think we got the same news," Keefe told her simply, not feeling like elaborating at the moment. At least, not orally.

But his face seemed to communicate enough.

"Oh Keefe... I'm so sorry. I didn't think he would tell you right away. I thought he'd wait a little while, and ask me to tell you when I felt the time was right. But I didn't know how to tell you. I... Keefe, I'm so sorry about your dad."

"What happened to Lord Cassius?" Grady asked from the doorway, making Sophie jump, and Keefe jump inwardly. But he composed himself quickly.

"Dad, we were trying to have a private conversation," Sophie stated pointedly, a look on her face like she was willing to jump up and push him out herself. Interestingly enough, she hadn't actually moved from his shoulder like she usually would just yet. That gave Keefe a nice boost of confidence to speak, but Sandor beat him to it.

"Miss Foster, I think your father should know what's going on," the burly grey goblin pointed out in his cute little stern bunny voice.

"Hey Gigantor, why don't you just step out for a sec and fill him in yourself? Don't worry," he said with a wink, "I'll keep our girl safe until you get back."

He looked like he was about to object, but Keefe glanced over just in time to see Sophie send Grady a pleading look that visibly melted his resolve. "It's alright, Sandor. Come on, fill me in out in the hall. These two probably have their own things to talk about."

With a squeaky sigh, Sandor obeyed, walking slowly out the door.

As soon as it closed, Keefe turned his head to look into Sophie's eyes, which awaited him with uncertainty in them.

He saw she was about to say something, so he decided to intervene. "Foster, I can tell you're about to say something all sappy and supportive, but... I knew this was going to happen. I knew my dad would turn out to be a double agent for the Neverseen. It's okay. Really," he added on when she gave him another uncertain look.

Sophie rubbed her temple for a moment with two fingers, and a second before Keefe put two and two together, she inhaled sharply and said suddenly, "Keefe, take a breath."

"Huh?" he asked, genuinely confused. Her emotions weren't helping. They were so mixed up, he couldn't tell if she was feeling pity or concern or... what was that other one? He couldn't place it.

"Just take a slow breath in," she instructed, sitting up straight beside him. He missed her warmth already.

"Okay," he mumbled, still confused. But, as I started to draw the breath in, she stopped him.

"Close your eyes while you do it. Try to relax. Okay?"

This time, Keefe just nodded, and took in a slow, calm breath, letting his shoulders relax at his sides. But, before he was even beginning to think about the exhale, he felt hands grip his, and a pair of soft lips touch his in a delicate whisper of a kiss. He was almost afraid it hadn't happened. It was too beautiful to be real.

After a moment of stunned silence, he felt the hands let go, and his eyes popped open as he finally let himself exhale. Keefe couldn't help but stare at Sophie, who was blushing furiously, and trying to hide behind pieces of her oh-so-soft blonde hair that'd brushed against him when she... she...

"You kissed me," he said lamely, too dazzled to say much more.

"Yup," she replied, equally flat, save a hint of embarrassment and uncertainty.

"Why?"

This question seemed to strike her. It took her a few seconds to respond. But, when she did, the wait was instantly worth it. "Because... it's you."

If he hadn't been an Empath, he might've felt the need to ask her to elaborate. But her emotions were so pure as she said those three simple words that he didn't need to.

She... loved him. And she knew it.

Without another word, just a quick question with his eyes which she nodded to, he leaned in and let out all the feelings he'd been keeping bottled up for so long, saving them just for her, in something he'd never let himself give her before: a kiss. And what a kiss. There was no mild way to put it: it felt like they were flying.

When they finally broke apart, they found they were tangled in each other. One of his hands tangled in her hair, the other behind her back to keep her close. Her hands running along his chest, which she'd managed to find herself on top of (they'd decided somewhere in there that laying on the bed instead of sitting for be infinitely better suited to them). Finding themselves in this pose Keefe guessed neither of them had guessed they'd end up in, they couldn't help it: they burst into hysterical laughter, clutching each other harder as they did.

And, from that moment on, nothing was ever the same between them again.

- - -

I'm sorry if this was cringy lol. And shallow. But it felt SO right!

I hope you enjoyed, because writing this has made me feel more relaxed and satisfied than anything has in a while.

Don't worry, I'll be updating again veeery soon ;)