CHAPTER TWO: We Could Kill Him

DYLAN AND ANDREW'S APARTMENT

Andrew, Dylan's boyfriend, walked into their shared apartment to find his boyfriend asleep next to an open laptop and a stack of papers. 

He grabbed one off of the top, and saw who it was for. 

"Why do you keep doing all of this work for Nolan and Ava?" Andrew asked, waking Dylan up.

Dylan snatched the paper from him.

"You've been up all night?"

"I was just helping some friends with their homework," Dylan replied.

"Like you did with their lit papers? Now you're working on their history assignments? That can get you expelled."

"I offered, all right? They had a project that they needed to finish."

Dylan stood up.

Andrew grabbed his hand and the two kissed. 

"When I came to college, I promised myself that I wouldn't get serious about anybody. But the day I met you I knew that was impossible," Dylan said. 

"I get everything about you except why you hang out with Nolan. He's such a douche!"

Dylan didn't want to get into the subject, for more reasons than one.

"I've gotta get to class," Dylan replied.

After all, it was his secret to keep. 

And Nolan's, of course. 

JEREMY'S APARTMENT

"A posteriori, after the fact. A priori, before the fact. A verbis...uh...dammit! How do you say 'I hate Latin' in Latin?" Caitlin asked, lying on Jeremy's bed while looking at flashcards and a Latin book. 

Jeremy, Caitlin's actual boyfriend, came over and put down two cups of coffee. 

"You're already proficient in Mandarin, so why are you taking another language?" he asked. 

"Thought it'd look good on a law application, and I thought it'd be an easy A. But if I don't ace this test, then there's no way I'll get a 4.0 by midterms, and then I'll be out of the running for the year abroad program, and then everything we've planned would've been for nothing," Caitlin replied. 

"Well I've been thinking about what you told me, and you need to call off the arrangement that you have with Nolan."

"I told you what would happen if I did that."

ONE YEAR EARLIER

BEACON HEIGHTS

ALLEY

Caitlin walked through an alley and was startled by someone approaching her.

It was Nolan.

"This was your second date with him," Nolan said, referring to Jeremy.