CHAPTER ONE: Welcome to Beacon Heights

OREGON

BEACON HEIGHTS

NIGHTTIME

BRIDGE

A black car drove through the brightly lit town of Beacon Heights, Oregon as its residents began their nighttime routines.

Inside the car, a man was driving Alison DiLaurentis to her new home. 

She looked down at her phone, which had a picture of her holding her twin daughters, Lily and Grace. 

Barely holding back tears, she deleted the photo and looked outside. 

"What brings you to Oregon?" the driver asked. 

"I'm joining the faculty at BHU," Alison replied. 

"Got any friends here?"

There was a pause as Alison reflected on her past.

"Don't know a soul."

That was true, or so she thought. 

And nobody knew her, or so she thought.

TEN MINUTES LATER

OUTSIDE ALISON'S HOUSE

The driver stopped outside of a nice, two-story house that seemed fancy, yet humble.

"Thank you," Alison told the driver.

"No problem," he replied.

Alison stepped out of the car, purse in hand. The driver had popped open the trunk so she was able to get her suitcase, the final things she needed to bring from Rosewood.

Moments later she was at her front door, unlocking and opening it for the first time. 

She went inside and put her stuff by the front door before closing it.

Alison looked around, impressed by everything in the house. She had seen a few pictures and knew that the house was nice, but she knew that things weren't always as they seemed. 

After walking around, a certain door caught her attention.

It was like the rest in the home, but it seemed out of place. Alison opened it and turned on the light switch inside. 

The light revealed wooden steps down to a basement, which Alison didn't remember reading about online. 

But that didn't bother her. 

It wasn't like she was going to use it anyway. 

She didn't prefer basements, but this wasn't permanent for Alison.

She turned off the light and closed the door, shocked to see who was on the other side of it. 

"Mona!" Alison said.