"That, that is a lot to take in cub. Do you still want to live with me? Seeing as you are technically an adult?" Remus asked.

"Of course, I do Remus. I mean, you won't technically be my guardian, but when it comes to appearances and such, I'm still only 7. And I wouldn't leave you, you're my only family, even if its not by blood."

"One more thing, cub? You still didn't mention the snake on your shoulders." Alex looked at Akira, who was still sleeping while curled around their shoulders.

"You mean Akira? She was a gift from Sal and his familiar. She is Sal's familiar's daughter and also happens to be my familiar," Alex said, reaching up to stroke Akira nose.

"What breed is she? She is a lovely specimen."

"Oh, she's a basilisk," they said, making this terrifying fact sound like an offhand comment. They watched as Remus swallow a few times before speaking again.

"A, a basilisk?"

"Oh yes, but don't worry. The gaze of a basilisk can't harm a Parselmouth, and they can turn their deadly gaze on and off. She won't harm you; I promise."

"Parselmouth?" Remus asked. Alex realised they had forgotten that small detail when explaining everything.

"Yes, I'm a Parselmouth. Have been my whole life. It probably has something to do with being descended from the Peverell line. I've heard it is an ability that tends to skip many generations when people of the line aren't deemed worthy of the great gift."

~

{Remus' POV}

Remus had apparently been hoping for too much when he hoped it would be a simple explanation. He hadn't expected the explanation to take half an hour or be that complicated. Alex was of age, legally 17, their magic fully matured, even though to everyone they were still 7 to the entire world. They were lord, or lairde or many ancient houses and heir to a few as well. And they happened to be a Parselmouth with a basilisk as a familiar.

"Nothing with you is simple, is it cub?" he asked fondly. He wasn't complaining though. He wouldn't change Alex for the world.

"Nope," they replied happily. "Being simple requires being normal and being normal is boring."

Remus laughed at that. They were right, being normal would be boring.

"I have some things to do in my room, I need to unpack and stuff. I'll be down for lunch," Alex said. They stood up, walking towards the stairs, heading back to their bedroom.

~

{Alex's POV}

Alex walked back up the stairs and entered their room. They had lied slightly, about unpacking. They had already unpacked everything. But they did have things to do.

They walked over to their desk, sitting down and picking up the parchment covered in writing. This was all the research and results from the improved wolfsbane that they had made the day before they left.

They read over the information eagerly, their happiness building more and more as they read of success. The wolf that had volunteered, Killian, hadn't died, which was a good start. His wolf had become like an animagus form and he was able to transform into wolf form at will, other than new moons and full moons. On full moons, he was still forced to transform, but the pain had disappeared. That may have been because the wolf wasn't as vicious, but it also could have been because his body had accepted the wolf form as a natural form, much like an animagus body did.

On top of that, Killian only had to take the potion once. It had lasted for a year before they stopped tracking the results, but they didn't seem to be becoming any less than when it was first administered. During full moons he still kept his mind, just like a normal wolfsbane would have allowed.

As Alex finished reading the report, they set it down with a whoop of happiness. Their potion had worked. Now, they could give it to Remus and allow him to experience the benefits of the potion. Hopefully he liked it.

Alex headed back into the kitchen at 12 o'clock, ready for lunch. They had spent the rest of the time after finishing the report in their mind, organising all the memories and strengthening the defences. Their mind consisted of many things. Firstly, they had bookshelves holding every single book they had ever read. Next, they had cabinets full of phials of memories. Each cabinet was dedicated to a different thing, expanded to hold as many or as few memories as needed. One each for each year of their life. There was also a separate cabinet for each topic they had learned, full of memories of all their lessons. They had added a new cabinet, one labelled Remus. In it would go every memory they had of Remus, the good and the bad.

When they reached the kitchen, they found Remus already busy at the stove.

"Can I help?" Alex asked.

"You can set the table and prepare drinks. The food is almost done," Remus replied, not even looking at Alex as he continued cooked. Alex quickly set the table, placing a glass of water next to each spot. They then sat down, just as Remus turned and set the food on the table. He sat down, opposite Alex, smiling at them.

Alex didn't touch their food, instead looking straight at Remus while clutching a potion phial in their lap.

"I have something to give you," they said.