four

Seeing Sang's old home in front of me was a shell shock, to say the least. I could smell the rain as it fell down around me, my lips quirking as I remember watching Kota and her meet. Max hadn't ran over to Sang because of her, he ran because he was me behind her.

I remember cursing her in my head when she followed him, he could've been a serial killer for gods sake! But I took one look at him, one look at his soul, and I knew he was pure. I knew he was what she needed, they all were.

I felt myself cry, resting my forehead against my knees slightly as I avoided looking at the houses. Her step mother had died long ago, her father running off to his other family and Marie was god knows where. The house was empty, and even just looking at it felt cold.

"Excuse me?" I jumped, my eyes wide as my head shot up to chocolate brown eyes staring at me. My corner of my lips quirked, I suppose he would be the only one to ever catch me off guard and sneak up on me. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I sniffled as I wiped at my nose, glancing back to the magical spot. "I'm just remembering something that happened."

He glanced over to the spot I was looking at, his brown eyes losing some of the magic in them before he looked back at me. He moved and sat down next to me, his body warmth helping fight the chill the rain was causing me. I smiled at the sigh that escaped him, before full out grinning when I felt a snack size candy bar slip into my hand.

"I hope you like chocolate." He murmured, simply sitting by my side.

"Want to know a secret?" I spoke back quietly, the only indication he heard me was the slight nod and movement of his eyes when he looked at me. "I'm really not the biggest fan of chocolate, I like gummy candies better. But I think this chocolate you gave me might persuade me to the chocolate side."

His lips curled up as he chuckled, the wind moving ever so slightly to rustle his long hair. "We also have cookies."

I let out a even louder laugh than the one he gave me, his eyes sparking at he laughed with me. The rain had subsided enough to just make the air muggy, my hair and clothing sticking to me as I looked back to that empty home. I remember the day we moved into it, the day she found out her mother wasn't her mother.

I remember every single little detail, and I felt my heart swell and crack at the same time.

"Are you hungry?" My eyes glanced away, burning with the mushed tears as I looked at Luke. His eyes were shining as well, and it hurt me to know just how much he still mourned her.

"What did you have in mind?"

"There's a diner not to far from here, I heard they have the absolute best chocolate chip pancakes." I smiled lightly, nodding as he stood. He held his hand out to me, my skin slick as I gently grasped it.

I felt the burn again, causing my hand to release from his quickly and force me to stumble back. I landed right back on my ass, my eyes wide as they met his equal ones. A giggle bubbled in my throat, before a full out laugh exploded. I could hear him laughing with me, my eyes squeezed tight as I felt my old bones relax under my weight for the first time in a millennia.

"Come on darlin', lets go get some pancakes."

*   *   *

Bob's diner looked exactly the same, the mural Gabriel painted still shining brilliantly against the white walls. The red booths were bright, no cracks or worn edges anywhere to be seen. The little bar had the stills aligned exactly right, and that's where I found myself sitting twenty minutes later.

The music was light, older music from the sixties and seventies playing with the occasional modern song. I smiled as I sipped on the water Luke had placed in front of me, not that he knew I knew his name was Luke. He had placed it and left, flitting into the kitchen on light feet.