one

I sat on a bench in Central Park, not bothering to pay attention to my surroundings. Why should I? I'd been suspended for eighteen months, and it was now beginning to grow closer to autumn and it showed in the trees surrounding me. But I couldn't find it within myself to care, I was numb.

I got the standard punishment, the eyes and wings. My once glorious wings, golden white that glowed against the light, were not pitch black. Sometimes they returned to gold, sometimes they didn't. It depends on the angel, and whether they truly redeemed themselves.

I doubt I'd be able to.

I'd never really been that good of an Guardian, or even an Angel as a matter of fact. I was too crude, I cursed when I shouldn't and loved the thought of modifying the vessel I was given. We weren't supposed to ruin what the Creator had given us, but I just got so bored looking at this blank canvas I had. I had kinda went wild while I was suspended, and knew that if any other vessels saw me I'd be punished even more for it.

I was supposed to return today, possibly now in fact. I had the address of the homes to my new keep, my new watch, as well as their name. But I couldn't bare to even open the envelope with it in them. Instead I sat on this bench, completely visible to humans.

I looked up as a familiar smell hit me, the smell of cherry blossoms and something citrus. My eyes widened as I saw him across the yard, his blonde hair bright against the sun. I saw the man next to him, his dark framing covering his silver eyes and his dark hair perfect. Another man stood with them that I barely recognized, his tanned skin a stark contrast to the others pale. His hair was pulled back, longer now than the few times I had witnessed him, his black frames much like the others.

Why were they in New York?

I'll be frank, I knew way to much about them than I'd like to, watching Sang for the past few years had forced me to keep close track to those she encountered. I could only interact so much though, as much as I'd wanted to intervene with her mother I only had so much leeway.

I blew out a breathe as I tried looking away, but I could help myself. I stared for twenty five minutes, watching Dakota Lee and Nathan Griffin join them ten minutes after I first noticed them. Dakota has Max on his leash, the dog appearing just as young as the day I first saw him, or rather he saw me.

Animals can see me, they have an affinity for angels and the dead. Spirits that refuse to cross over, even once they reach the so called "Pearly Gates." I smiled as Max sat for fifteen minutes, right when the wind began to blow as I stood. Seeing them made me realize just how much I had to move on, get on with my life.

That meant reading my list of my keep that was stuffed deep into my pocket, getting an apartment, and just moving on with my life. I had wallowed in self pity for long enough, maybe it was time I tried to pretend I was alright at least. Pretend I was a functioning human instead of an anxiety ridden angel.

I took three steps before something completely knocked me over, sending me sprawling onto my side. I grunted, looking up with furrowed eyes in the dark chocolate ones that I knew belonged to Max.

"What the fuck?" I muttered as he leaned down and licked one long swipe up my face, my cheeks twitching as I tried not to laugh, and ultimately failing.

"Max!" I heard Kota's voice shout from a bit of a distance, my eyes narrowing as Max just let his tongue hang out the side of his mouth. I blew out a raspberry, pushing him off of me and letting my wild hair cover my face with help from the wind. I slowly stood up, hearing the sound of several feet come up to where we were.

"I'm so sorry, he normally doesn't-" I pushed my hair back, my mismatched eyes meeting Kota's green ones directly. His sentence stopped completely, his eyes widening slightly before his mouth snapped shut.