before

I watched as the blood seeped out of her slowly, her green eyes fading. I knew I'd gain one, my first death, basically a black mark to every other angel I'd ever meet that I had failed. I'd let my watch, my keep, I let her die.

I could hear the cries of her men, nine of them, but all I could focus on was the feeling of my eyes changing. They were never truly a color before, always just kinda there. Now, one was black, and one green. The same exact green as hers. I knew that once I opened my wings they'd have changed as well, marking me thriller that I was.

I watched her heart stop and her soul leave her body, turning to look at it as it stood beside me. Her hand covered her mouth as she cried before she looked at me, her eyes glassy. She was smaller than me, but that wasn't hard since I was so tall. The perks of being an angel I suppose.

"Who are you?" Her voice was soft, softer than I could ever hope mine to be. She was beautiful, I understood why nine men fell in love with her.

"I'm going to be taking you home." I spoke as soft as I could muster, holding my palm out to her. She shook her head quickly, her eyes flickering back to the scene I was ignoring.

"I, I can't leave them." I smiled to her, before reaching forward and grasping her hand with my own. It began to glow a soft golden light as she whipped her head around to me, my eyes flickering from her to that scene again.

"I'm sorry, I don't make the rules."