three

I stood outside the door I knew held Kayli, waiting for Phil to get all the guys to leave. I had to ask her my own questions, or at least ask her questions Phil wanted me to ask. I didn't mind, it'd get him off my back and help me understand why she was doing something as mundane as going into a coffee shop this morning.

I could see through the small window the back of her head, as well as the hardened stare of both Owen and Axel. I wasn't sure where everyone else was, all I could see was the moving lips of Owen while Axel stared. I could see Owen becoming unhinged, his tie removed and thrown onto the table. He leaned forward, a vein popping against his forehead as he spoke more and more. I don't know what she was saying to him, but it seemed to enrage him more and more.

I watched them stand up, Axel saying something before walking out from the room and back into the hallway. Axel looked almost, defeated. Owen just looked completely pissed off, a stark comparison to how he looked when we got here. I avoided their eyes, their bodies moving far away from me and the room as quickly as possible.

Phil nods through the small window as I walk in, moving to stand in front of her. Kayli's eyes store hard at me, her lips pulling up in a wild grin, a laugh bubbling out of her chest. I ignore her, sitting down in the chair across from her as Phil walks back to the door.

"You'll be okay?" I smile softly at his concerned face, knowing that he needs to be on the other side in case any of the boys come back here.

"I'm alright, I can handle her." I answer her, her giggling only growing louder.

The door shuts, a small click replacing her giggles as the room grows quiet. I simply sit there and stare at her, leaning back as I cross my legs at my ankles. I glance at my fingers, the nails dirty and unkempt, even for me. The air is palpable, tense, her hazed green eyes watching my every move.

"I killed her." My eyes glance to her feverish face, a small nod all I give her.

"I know."

"Kayli killed her, with me whispering in her ear. Kayli wanted to kill her, all I had to do was send a little push." My eyebrow raised as I leaned forward slightly, giving the monster the reaction it was looking for.

I watch the veins within her face begin to darken, she had less time than I thought. I originally thought she'd have a few months, maybe half a year, but it looked as if she only had a few minutes. Whatever was in her, it was burning through her quickly. I could only hope that it made her want to talk, their deaths were never easy nor peaceful.

"Why're you here?" I asked it, her eyes glazed over as she stared off.

"You have bounties on your head you know." I furrowed my head, that was fairly normal for angels. Any high ranking angel, demons would want them dead. They thought if they somehow took our grace away, took what made us an angel away, it would give them more. More powers, more strength, more of everything.

"That's to be expected." Her eyes went straight to mine, her lips widening as she grinned.

"A bounty for those wings of yours." She whispered as my head reared back, a hysterical laugh escaping her lips. "I knew Sang was yours, I knew these boys got under your skin. I knew, I knew! I knew how to use them to get to you! I knew, I knew!"

A scream escaped her at that moment, my hands shooting out as I pressed them against her hands. I felt the evil, the hate, the murky blood flowing through her. I tried to take some, take as much as I could but I barely took any before a wall was slammed down and nothing could be done.

The door opened as Doctor Roberts stepped through, his eyes trained as he looked back down the hall. He quickly slammed the door shut, locking it and pulling the black shade down on the window. A pounding sounded against the steel door not long after, my eyes sad as I watched the person that Kayli used to be fade away.

Ashes began to lighten, smoldering, a fire contained only to her. It began at her fingertips, working its way up and then down. Her eyes stayed looking at me the entire time, the cloud and haze lifting for only a moment as Kayli became, Kayli, for one moment. I shut my eyes as her screams ended, the smell of burnt charcoal now the only thing filtering to me. Her ashes were now just the air, so light and thin you couldn't see the difference.

"I thought we had longer." The pounding on the door hadn't stopped, my eyes opening to Phil's sad ones. "Did she say anything?"

"I think it was because of me. I think, someone is after me, and got to Sang, and Kayli. Because of me." My voice was a croak as I spoke, my eyes burning as I looked into Phil's sympathetic ones.

"Sweet girl, this isn't your fault."

"But it is." A golden tear escaped my eye, shimmering like a diamond beneath the lights. He watched it trickle down my cheek before falling onto the floor, solidifying halfway down and hitting the marble with a ping.

"I'm sorry." My eyes closed as I breathed out, letting my wings take me away.

• • •

Phil Roberts

Dammit.

I grit my teeth at that damn angel, I could practically see the guilt crawling beneath her skin and I didn't stop her. What was I to do? I wasn't an Angel, instead having been an Angels keep, and later on, an Angels husband.

I groaned as the pounding the door grew, quickly turning the lock and pulling the door open. I left the room, heads looking into the now empty room before the sound of footsteps and shouting followed me. I couldn't bother to care though, I didn't have the foggiest idea on where the little angel might have escaped too.

I spun around, Axel and Owen having to stumble slightly at my abrupt behavior. Owens face was slightly red, at me ignoring his talking and how hard he must've been banging on the door. "Doctor Roberts! Where is Kayli, where is –"

"Where did you meet her? Sang, where did you guys meet her for the very first time?" Owen flinches as if I've slapped him, his eyes hardening as his jaw grits.

"Kota met her on his old road, Sunnyvale in South Carolina. What does that that to do with where Kayli is?" I could see the underlying question within him but I couldn't care. I knew there were still a few of both the Blackbourne and Toma team in South Carolina still, finishing getting their things together in the mean time.

I could only hope they'd be able to reach her before she did something stupid.