Chapter Four

Alright, sorry about the delay in updates. But I am back and writing, so it shouldnt take long to get the next chapter up. :D

Chapter Four.

It took about a week for Stiles to even let himself think about the mates thing. That’s all he’s allowing himself to think of it as, because that’s all it will ever be. From the way that Derek had reacted, shocked and pissed at Dylan for bringing it up, showed Stiles enough to know that Derek hadn’t even wanted him knowing. So, there was no reason to think of it as anything other than a ‘thing’ and something that actually mattered.

Except. Stiles had been lying when he said he didn’t know about mates.

He knew so much.

In fact, him and Ethan has had so many conversations about it that Stiles could probably teach a class at a college about everything he knew and have enough information for the whole school year. They had talked about Ethan most likely not having a mate and if he were to ever find his (if he had one) then it would be the hardest thing to ever happen to him; he didn’t want to think about losing Stiles. And having a mate would make it nearly impossible to be with anyone besides your mate.

And that’s what makes this even harder. Derek found his mate and didn’t seem to want anything to do with him. Or let him know about it.

So, the fact that Derek planned on dealing with the pain that would come from denying his wolf the one thing it wanted more than blood lust on the full moon let Stiles know just how much Derek didn’t want him as his mate. But that wasn’t fair. Stiles wasn’t the same kid. He had grown up. And had gotten older and was no longer that annoying eight year old that he used to be.

Unless.

Of course, unless Derek really was in love with Dylan.

In that case, Stiles wouldn’t blame him for not wanting to tell his lover’s brother about him being his mate. That would just make things complicated and awkward and a lot harder than they had to be.

But still.

It made Stiles feel like he was unwanted and useless knowing that Derek didn’t want to tell him about being mates. It hurt knowing that even though they were friends a long time ago, Derek was still the douche that Stiles first met and no matter how much they bonded that night before Stiles left, it didn’t change the way he felt about him.

It didn’t help that as soon as Stiles walked out of the house yesterday and left Derek and both of the packs without a clue as to where he went, he felt a small pressure in his chest. He didn’t think much of it, just that it was annoying and it made it a lot harder to think about leaving town once again until everyone forgot about what happened.

He knew that wasn’t really an option. Not when there were two people involved and Stiles wasn’t the only one that was going to get hurt physically from it.

He’s heard about the physical and emotional repercussions of what happens when they get too far away from each other in the beginning, when the two don’t actually want it at first. And he’s not about to hurt Derek, whether he’s being a douche or not, or anyone else that gets in the way of the two of them. Because Derek’s wolf will just run on instinct and won’t know who or what it’s attacking until it gets a hold of its mate. Or at least that’s what he’s heard about what happens.

He’s read books about it. He’s talked to Ethan and Aiden’s mother, who hadn’t met her mate, but had known a few people who have. Her grandparents had been mates and had grown up knowing what two mates were like when they were together. She had said that there was nothing comparable to the way that they loved each other and were able to get through things so much easier than anyone else.