Chapter 16

When I woke up, he wasn't there. He'd fucked me and left in the middle of the night. The mate bond drew us together and my heat probably made him feel like it was impossible to say no. Was that why he did it? He has been vocal about his feelings towards our age difference. I did just throw myself at him. Oh no.

I groan, roll over and scream into the pillow. Why couldn't he have stayed and saved me from this anxiety.

I drag myself up from the bed and make it to training, Maverick was still yet to be seen. I showered after and went to breakfast, Maverick still nowhere in sight. I feel like I'm gonna be running on auto pilot until I see him so I decide to go look for him.

I head out the kitchen determined but end up walking right smack into the man himself. He whole body was glistening with sweat, he only wore a pair of gray sweatshorts. I meet eyes with him feeling like I can finally breathe since I woke up this morning. His eyes soften a bit from his normal death glare as he looks at me.

"You're up" he says and I turn on my heel and walk away. Now that I've found him, I realized I don't wanna see him. I'm pissed he left me alone in the bed the night after he takes my virginity like I'm some random woman in his bed.

He reaches out and grabs me before I get too far. Concern etches his face as he looks down on me.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know, maybe you avoiding me after what happened." I try to sound confident but my voice cracks from insecurity. I look anywhere but his eyes to try and avoid his gaze.

His rough, calloused hand grabs my chin and forces me to look at him.  His normally intense features softened as he looks down on me, dare I say... lovingly?

"There was a few rouge attacks early this morning that needed my attention, I had to leave in a rush. We just got done."

"Oh" I whispered.

He leans in and places a soft kiss on my lips.

"I thought you were gonna pull away again" I hate how my voice sounds desperate, needing his approval.

"I'm here" he says, placing another kiss on my lips. Just like that, all the anxiety I've felt all morning finally washes away.

"What happened this morning, it had something to do with me?" I questioned.

His brows furrow, "most likely, we captured a few of them and plan on doing an interrogation."

"I'm nervous" I confess.

"Don't be" he pulls me into a hug a leaves a kiss on my forehead.

We look up when we hear the door open and Sadie walks in and stands there, sniffing the air.

"Well, well, well, someone smells a lot less pure than they were yesterday" Sadie laughs.

"Oh gosh" I say as I push my face into Mavericks chest to hide my embarrassment.

"Sadie, behave. I'm gonna go shower" Maverick says looking back down at me
With his fiery gaze before walking out the kitchen.

"Sooooooooo spill you're fucking guts!!" Sadie gushes.

"A girl never kisses and tells" I joke giving her a knowing look before walking past her and into the living room.

"Hmm, Well you can still walk so..." Sadie says trying to goad me into telling her.

I turn around and shrug my shoulders casually at her.